Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by Kuroneko, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Kuroneko

Kuroneko Member

I'm new in doing my own lures an this is my first intent in this field, so i am looking for advices and opinions to make it better IMG_20201123_152532.jpg IMG_20201123_152508.jpg

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Cut it in half and epoxy back together. That will hide all the through wire

Kuroneko likes this.

3. Kuroneko

Kuroneko Member

I thought about that, but being a little stickbaits i thought that in this way it would be more simple and tougher, that space in the belly i will fill it whit sanwdust

4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Comments follow without fear or favour.
    Please take these comments as help on your luremaking journey.

This construction for a prototype is very high risk. The main issue is you have made it with a very rigid towpoint that lacks ability for adjustment. You are taking a wild stab in the dark that the towpoint location for the body design & ballast you have chosen is the right one.......this is realistically a 1 in 1000 chance you have selected correctly.
    You don't need thru wire on a prototype. Prototypes are best constructed with maximum flexibility for adjustment. Glued in twisted wire loops work excellently on prototypes & the front loop is best made longer so you have plenty of up/down adjustment to tune lure action. This way you also do not have a thru wire in the way to be able to drill holes in the belly for addition or removal of ballast.

what you need to do with a prototype is to swim it & see what it does to adjust the towpoint height & ballast till it swims the way you want it. You might find you need to change the body shape at the nose to accommodate a fixed towpoint in the right place. It depends how good your guess at body shape was as to whether shape changes are small or very large.
    You don't need prototypes to be strong enough to be able to catch fish..........just strong enough to cast & swim. There is usually a lot of swimming & adjusting to get the action you want.
    When you have a shape & ballast setup that swims nice .........then its time to build one in that shape strong enough to catch fish, painted & finished in colour & clears.

There is a whole range of tutorials in the "sticky" list at the top of the lure forum page about design & tuning lures.

Good luck with your design, hope it swims well for you first time...........if not have another go with a simple easy setup better suited to allow lots of adjustment.
    Let us all know how you go.

Cubeye, bertros, Kim and 2 others like this.
  5. Kuroneko

Kuroneko Member

Thanks a lot for the advice i will take it in count, my dilemma is that right now i don't have all the materials needed and the glue that i hace don't give enough trust to make it in that way, but i will try in the next prototype.
    Thanks a lot, and thanks for the help

6. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Epoxy glue is the strongest adhesive for glued in towpoints & hook hangers , for sure , & will even work catching fish to modest sizes. for swimming prototypes a polyester putty ( automotive repair putty etc) will work............& its cheap & easy.
    polyester putty is also used to glue in ballast weights...... its easy to shape too.

Cubeye and Kuroneko like this.
  7. Kuroneko

Kuroneko Member

This is how it ended, i tested how it work, and actually it surprised me because i didn't believe it would move that well, it have a really strong wobling almost like the shimano waxwing, float at almost 45°, only that don't have that strong tail kick in the start of d movement that i ve seen in so many floating stickbaits.
    Please take in count that i make it with stuff that i had in home, , and that is my first lure 16081218011489117399024555138961.jpg

Cubeye likes this.
  8. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Well Done
    the next one will be even better ........from what you have learnt from your first one.
    Just remember to make your next prototype with a long tow eye wire so you have more ability to tune the lure action................you might find the tail kick you are looking for with a bit of tuning the tow eye & repositioning the ballast weight.

Kim, Cubeye and Kuroneko like this.