360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am planing to buy a new reel, and I would like to hear from you guys what could be a good option. I will write down some ideas about what I like so you can have a better idea in what I can go for.

1- I live in Texas, went fishing for tuna of the rigs 100 to 150 miles from Galveston, average sizes YF 30lbs to 50lbs.
2- I want a reel that can handle something like a 100lbs Tuna in case I get a hit. (Eventually I will fly or drive to San Diego for BF Tuna)...
3- Small size reel and light as possible.
4- Smooth
5- Jigging, Chunk, Cast.... anything that can handle Tuna

Thank you, and have a great Sunday..

·
Registered
140 Posts
An Avet MXL Raptor would suit your needs and be pretty small. I also really like the okuma Makaira 10 but it has less line capacity and is a heavier frame. The Mak 15 has the same drag specs as Mak 10 but greater line capacity, but is considerably heavier than the mxl raptor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe the Penn International VISX12? I finally picked one up myself for a 20-50 rod I had sitting around and plan to spool it with 65lb Sufix 832. It‘s nice and small (compared to some of my other reels) but built like a tank. I’m sure it would handle WAY more than 100lb fish if needed (40lb of drag). I also have an Avet MXJ Raptor which is smaller and lighter so maybe the recommended MXL above wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends on your budget... Deep pockets will go Accurate, not so deep will go Penn. I like my HX 3 speed raptor. Whichever way you decide, a two speed on a big fish is golden(y)
oh wow- and here I thought I was the only one who had that reel,-haven't used it yet-hopefully will this October if they trip isn't canceled like last time. so how it go with that reel?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Penn International VISX 12 or 16 are solid and get it done. I've got the VISXS 30 on a 80 - 130 rail rod. Penn Fathom's 2 speed lever drag reels are a excellent value, with the new model Fathoms hitting the shelves sometime this month or next.

·
Banned
39 Posts
oh wow- and here I thought I was the only one who had that reel,-haven't used it yet-hopefully will this October if they trip isn't canceled like last time. so how it go with that reel?
I think your gonna like it. smooth, powerful, holds plenty line, built like a tank. Small reel/big fish. I have mostly used it for chunking, but no reason you can't cast with it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts