looking for a 2 speed reel for deep dropping and Chunking.

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by d-a, Apr 8, 2008.

1. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am looking for input on a good 2 speed conventional reel for deep dropping/ tuna chunking. I would like to stay under $400. Any recomendations?

thanks

d-a

2. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

AVET LX 6/3
    15lb strike, 20lb full

AVET HX 5/2 409
    21lb strike 30lb full

Avet Reels from CharkBait!
    you will get 300yds of free spectra and free shipping as well

give charkbait a call, and they can reccommend the best pound test spectra for the reel if you buy it from them, probably go with a hollow core because you will be able to do a loop to loop with a wind on leader or splice on a topshot

how deep are you dropping?

3. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

if you're willing to spend a little more than 400, cabbage key has an Avet pro 30, black

Avet Pro 30W 2 speed BLACK, No apparent blems, Perfect Reg $469.99.....
    2 only @$439.00 SHIPPED
    Avet Reels Blemished Avet,Everol,Tsunami,Avet EXW50 QUAD,MX,AVET Reels

holds 460yds of 40lb mono, pulls 35lbs of drag on strike, 49oz
    it's a dual drag reel, maybe a bit better suited to dropping deep, and heavier tuna chunking. I'm guessing you're using the reel on a charter boat rather than a private?

would you mind posting a bit more info
    size of tuna
    depth of deep drop?
    line test

thanks

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am going on 2 Big e trips this summer and fall plus other shorter trips in between. I would prefer a smaller lighter reel than the one you posted.

d-a

5. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

d-a,

I will send you a PM. I have a couple of used Avets you might be interested in.

Mike W

6. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

d-a,

Have you looked at a Shimano Tyrnos 20 2spd? Weighs in at 36 oz. and can pull over 30lbs of drag at full. You can get one "Buy it Now" on ebay for $280.

7. fonz

fonz Member

I just bought a brand new in the box Tiagra 16 on Ebay for 380 total with S/H.
    Pm me back if you are interest on knowing who I bought it from....

Good Luck,

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The Tiagra 16 is a great reel. You must be a bottom feeder. That's a good price. I've been bottom feeding for a Twinspin 20 for over 3 months with no success.:mad:

I went to the final four game last night, and when I got home I was shock to find out I had won another Stella 20K for 518.00. The third highest bid was 425.00. If the second highest bidder wouldn't have showed up, it would have been mine for 430.00.:eek:

Monday night is always a good night for bottom feeders on ebay. If you want to sell anything on ebay, always end it on Sunday night. That's the heaviest traffic night on ebay. Monday is the slowest.

9. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Will the graphite reels not hold up to the strain? Any thing und 30 oz would be great.

d-a

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

For the price range you mentioned, the tyrnos 2 speeds and the Daiwa Sealine SLD 2 speeds will do well.