360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

long range shooting meet DFW

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  VaRandy 
#1 ·
I've got 4 16" 1/2" thick AR-500 gongs that I am going to set up 400, 600, 1000 yds on my lease
and 1 8" gong

If any of you want to get together/ meet and greet and show off your long range skills please let me know

will be shooting easterly to add some south wind for effects

likely be a day trip, in July or August

will be in Eastland Co. 139 miles from Dallas

I've got one bench, shade trees, can set up canopy ,,,, bring your prone mats and set ups

#5 ·
Any caliber restrictions? Centerfire only? Supine shooting position?

Some lathe turned 338 next to a standard 30/06

d-a

#7 ·
cabosandinh said:
No restrictions, bring your arsenal
Just shooting for fun and meet
I know quite a few are shooters,,,,, just never opportunities to gather around
Ok those are better times anyway, might bring some 140-150 year old technology to make things interesting. If I can make it I will. Need to head west more often.

d-a

#11 ·
Get'n Jiggy said:
DA- you got any use for this.. See pic
I was going with 338 but went 300 last second. I'm recoil sensitive ;)
Just collection dust... Bought from midway USA.
Unfortunately I don't. Only belted mag I have is a 300 win mag(2 of them). How of why did you get the 358's?

d-a

#13 ·
d-a said:
Unfortunately I don't. Only belted mag I have is a 300 win mag(2 of them). How of why did you get the 358's?
d-a
It's one of two things.. They were in a box I bought from a guy at the gun show with other reload stuff OR I was Johnny QuickDraw one night while online. The latter tends to bit me in my ass having dyslexia.... That's my excuse anyways :D

#14 ·
Get'n Jiggy said:
It's one of two things.. They were in a box I bought from a guy at the gun show with other reload stuff OR I was Johnny QuickDraw one night while online. The latter tends to bit me in my ass having dyslexia.... That's my excuse anyways :D
They will work in a 357 lever or bolt gun single loading but you won't get enough velocity to utilize the bonded core. I have used some .358 FTX in a 357 lever gun but I went back to the tried and true 158 XTP for everything.

d-a

#20 ·
Did you ever pull this off? Sounds like your lease is well suited for a steel shoot. If you still have it, what chance is there for a multi day get together like you offered below. I am on the East Coast and can't justify it for a day shoot but would love to join up with other shooters, especially 360 crew.

I am good all the way beyond your setup, in fact good to 2 miles if any want to witness it. I have optical rangefinder for excessive distance and strapped Swarovski spotter well suited for that need.

I need to make a coordinated trip out west to shoot each year from now on.
cabosandinh said:
I've got 4 16" 1/2" thick AR-500 gongs that I am going to set up 400, 600, 1000 yds on my lease
and 1 8" gong

If any of you want to get together/ meet and greet and show off your long range skills please let me know

will be shooting easterly to add some south wind for effects

likely be a day trip, in July or August

will be in Eastland Co. 139 miles from Dallas

I've got one bench, shade trees, can set up canopy ,,,, bring your prone mats and set ups

#21 ·
VaRandy said:
Did you ever pull this off? Sounds like your lease is well suited for a steel shoot. If you still have it, what chance is there for a multi day get together like you offered below. I am on the East Coast and can't justify it for a day shoot but would love to join up with other shooters, especially 360 crew.

I am good all the way beyond your setup, in fact good to 2 miles if any want to witness it. I have optical rangefinder for excessive distance and strapped Swarovski spotter well suited for that need.

I need to make a coordinated trip out west to shoot each year from now on.
we did pull this off, we had 13 people for the weekend

we had a few retired/ ex Navy, Army, Marine that came out weeks later and shot 1000 yds with a 22-250

I will gauge interests and maybe set up another one next year.
A multi day is definitely possible.
I now have a cabin , travel trailer and 2 20 ft trailers with AC/Heat so can accomodate

#22 ·
I can't justify the trip from the Atlantic ocean for a couple of days but if someone will come early or stay late a couple of days OR I can find another shoot in the area, I will be there. Always looking for long range areas, particularly those with the big bore serious LR rigs.

Glad you guys got to enjoy the shoot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.