Long Range 2006

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Ragman, Oct 3, 2006.

1. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

tom i sure hope the gem-06 trip can match thoses results. i am still waiting to bust the 300lb yellowfin club in the gulf..lol...rick

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

How about cows all around for the GEM trip....

3. Anglers Pro Shop

Anglers Pro Shop Member

tom i sure hope the gem-06 trip can match thoses results. i am still waiting to bust the 300lb yellowfin club in the gulf..lol...rick

Hey Rick,

I have not caught a cow before, I know you did and I have a question:

Do you find more satisfaction catching a cow with the kind of gears predominantly used in west coast long range or catching a 100lb tuna on jigging gear?

I am asking this question because I think catching cow with those gears used in long range looks so easy to me :rolleyes: ; use the rail, full harness etc etc

Randy

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

randy
    i do enjoy catching the average size yellowfins on jigging and popping gear more than a cow on 50lb tackle. i would however like to catch something near 150lbs on jigging gear just for the challenge....rick

5. jedi243

jedi243 Member

What made the cow fishing more interesting off Mag Bay last year was having 15-25 cows hooked up at once. That is the only time I ever thought of a 50 as a small reel. Most fish took almost an hour on a 50 as the dance to keep the fish untangled was rather challenging. A WFO big yellowfin bite would be sweet for GEM. Maybe Kil will get to demonstrate his cow jigging expertise to the GoM crew.