long jerk for tuna?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ambermax, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ambermax

ambermax Member

In Italy VJ is at the beginnin, the idea is that for tuna jigging the rules are:

long jerk with short jigs...

hook or treble at the end of jig...

I prefear to fish in short jerk with assist.... must I change style for tuna?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

either method can work, so youve got to try either/both if one is not working. no one method or jig will always work, so just be prepared :)

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I use a short slow jerk with an assist hook for YFtuna here in the GOM.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

In Italy VJ is at the beginnin, the idea is that for tuna jigging the rules are:

long jerk with short jigs...

hook or treble at the end of jig...

I prefear to fish in short jerk with assist.... must I change style for tuna?
    Some guys claim you have to move your jigs in certain way to trigger tuna bites, but I don't. They hit when they are in mood whether you jig slowly or fast. up and down jigging, short jerk or long jerk.
    On my last four tuna jigging trips, they preferred short jerking on the first two trips, but slow up and down jig near the bottom dominated our catches.
    You got to try different style jigging to find a better way on a particular day.

It is not important whether to use single hooks, treble hooks or assist hooks as tuna find our hooks. It is your preference.

5. ambermax

ambermax Member

perfect... it seems that tuna are non different from other fishes :)

6. etan

etan Senior Member

I agree with Ksong. Put in your time at the rail and you will catch them when they bite. Fish are not rocket scientists! Otherwise they wouldn't bite a piece of lead with a hook attached.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

It may just be me, but I think I land more fish with the assist hooks. Maybe the fish have a harder time throwing the jig because the assist hook is not directly attached to the weight of the jig.

8. ambermax

ambermax Member

It may just be me, but I think I land more fish with the assist hooks. Maybe the fish have a harder time throwing the jig because the assist hook is not directly attached to the weight of the jig.

I'm agree

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here is a pictue of 77" (260 - 280 lbs) bluefin tuna caught on a jig by my friend, Mike. Though he is a tackle shop owner and sell tons of Japanese style jigging stuffs, he is an old fashioned guy and don't use any new style jigging stuff at all. He used 8'6" long Gloomis rod and 200g short jig called metallic sardine jigs with a treble hook. While we were talking about new trend of tuna jigging, he simply smiled and said he wouldn't have landed the tuna if he had used a short Japanese style rod as the tuna run unter the boat so many times.

[​IMG]

10. ambermax

ambermax Member

I'm enjoing an approch, to fishing:

I'm not interested to what is the best tecnique to catch a fish

I decided that I want to catch that fish in that way, and I'm stisfacted from that...

in this moment I love japanise style, is the tecnique tha give me the best emotion

certainly that a big tuna like that with a 8'6".... wow :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Mike fishes usually on big tuna party boats and his tuna jigging methods are developed to fish on big boats.
    You can not jig with such a long rod on your small boat. It is like you jig with long popping rods. :)
    I got my new 5'2" and 4'8" 500g Jigging Master Power Spell rods. Guys who use those rods say they use 4'8" rod or 5'2" depending on jigging situations.
    As you said, it is your satisfation which matters. While I am testing and enjoying short Japanese style jigging rods, I still experimenting long rods for different situations. I am going to get my new custom 7'6" St Croix Legend jigging rod. The rod is super light (the blank is only 6 0z), but is rated upto 80 lbs.:eek:
    If the rod can survive the heavy pressure of big tuna, it can revolutionize tuna jigging rod concept.
    I can't wait to test the rod as much as I want to test my Jigging Master Power Spell rods for big tuna.

12. ambermax

ambermax Member

you think that the length of the rod favors also certains (long) movement of the jig? or it is a solution only due to the problem of hight boardside of big boats?

I have not never had a JM (fishingbuddy is a strange seller...), but it seems a rod that bend till the handle, a behavior very different from those progressive tapered sections like calstar, seeker and other USA rods, which are the characteristics that you like in the JM?

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

you think that the length of the rod favors also certains (long) movement of the jig? or it is a solution only due to the problem of hight boardside of big boats?

I have not never had a JM (fishingbuddy is a strange seller...), but it seems a rod that bend till the handle, a behavior very different from those progressive tapered sections like calstar, seeker and other USA rods, which are the characteristics that you like in the JM?
    Some prefers shorter rods for jigging with heavier jigs or deeper water.

There is misconception of parabolic action rods. Many prefer parabolica actions rods compared to fast action rods as it i seasier to fight big fish with parabolic bent. You need 300 - 500g jigging rod to target big fish like tuna and those rods don't bend much. some like fast action rods as they feel they can give more action to jigs with fast action rods.

14. ambermax

ambermax Member

Some prefers shorter rods for jigging with heavier jigs or deeper water.

There is misconception of parabolic action rods. Many prefer parabolica actions rods compared to fast action rods as it i seasier to fight big fish with parabolic bent. You need 300 - 500g jigging rod to target big fish like tuna and those rods don't bend much. some like fast action rods as they feel they can give more action to jigs with fast action rods.

OK if I understand right (my english is so & so) I'm totally agree with you

in mediterranean sea, in my opinion, the greater problem is to induce the fish to attack, the fighting becomes a minor problem

this is the reason because I prefear fast progressive rods that let me a great freedom of variation on jig movement

but I'm talking about AJ, Dentex (a kind of snapper), groupers...

for tuna jigging in mediterranean the problem become the capacity of reel spool, because BF tuna may be very big....

to have a probability to meet a tuna, in Italy is usually to make "pasturazione" (to throw in water a lot of sardine in order to attract the fish)

do you also do "pasturazione"? (what is english word for it?)

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

do you also do "pasturazione"? (what is english word for it?)

Chuming or chum which refers to what is used.