LONG Frustrating Day

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

But not because we didnt get any action, quite the contrary.

The morning started a bit late as my west coast contingent got a bit lost in the am, so we shoved off around 6 into the already increasing light. We had a nice following sea out of the west, and made good time to the grounds. When we arrived, the wind had picked up pretty good, and was now rolling around to the NW and getting ugly. First spot looked dead, so we pushed a bit east to some numbers that had produced the other day. Within sweconds of stopping, we were tight on John's very first bluefin. In short order he had the fish up to the boat, and we quickly slid the gaff into a perfect under fish of 46 and a touch more inches. John is having shoulder surgery next week, and this was his last fishing adventure of 09, a good way to end it for him. This fish was hooked on an X-Rap in shad color, an OTI tuna Sniper 60/80 with OTI 80# and 100 pound Yo-Zuri floro leader.

We then proceeded to hook(and lose) 9, (yeah that's right 9) more fish, all of the much larger variety. We had one fish spool a Van Staal 250 of its 295 yards of line almost instantly. We had several fish chew through 100# Yo-Zuri pink floro, a fewmainline cut offs, and a mainline break from unknown forces:rolleyes: ? All of the west coast boys got to feel the power on these brutes, and were extremely happy with their day, which is all I should care about.....but I just cant get all those quality hits that resulted in no love out of my head.:mad:

The last 9 fish were all hooked with unweighted soft plastics with nice big single HD live bait or circle hooks, pink was the color of choice today. Strange in that usually we have no trouble keeping these fish on with the circle hook and soft plastic combo, but we just had some of that counterbalancing luck today I guess where all the good to score the hit was cancelled out by the bad after the bite.. Can't do much better than getting in front of 9 BIG tuna that all cooperate.

Gear used was OTI Tuna Sniper 40-60 and 60-80, VS 250 reels with suffix or OTI 80 anmd 100 Yo Zuri pink floro, and an OTI prototype 7'6" two piece with a Stella 18K and Calcutta 80 pound braid with a streamline wind on. The soft plastics used yesterday were the 11 inch in pink, amber, and white from Got Stryper.

I called in the the only other boat out there really to our area, and the guys from Hot Reels came in and got a BIG 69 inch fish, that they kindly donated some more meat from to my guys back at the dock to go with their smaller prize. Thanks Jeff!!

We stayed out till sunset(only 4:30) as we encountered a very nice group of singles and doubles airing out on the SWC late in the day, but a guy in a 30 something sportfish decided to run around at 10 knots dragging 4 squid bars, with a guy in his bow barely hanging on trying to cast at the fish that were somewhat bunched up every now and then. We got two refusals and an nice swipe that missed the hooks before the ass clown in the express drove over them several times and sent them packing for good.

Lots of fish still around, water temps back up to 52 degrees, and tons of bait means these fish should stick around for a few more weeks. Can you say Thanksgiving sashimi?:cool:

View attachment 9164

View attachment 9165

View attachment 9166

View attachment 9167

Check out the spool getting dumped...

View attachment 9168

View attachment 9169

Attached Files:

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have often thought to myself that the party brings the luck/blessing with them. All the capt can do is put them in the right place. Sounds like you were right on target as usual.

3. tmack9200

tmack9200 Senior Member

Frustrating for you, a dream for most...congrats on a successful day in my eyes...

4. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Sounds like some tough fishin' Dom, but way to get on the fish and make the best of a not so lucky day! What type of mainline were you getting broke off on?

5. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Sounds like some tough fishin' Dom, but way to get on the fish and make the best of a not so lucky day! What type of mainline were you getting broke off on?

2 different kinds actually. The mainline was brand new on 2 of the reels, OTI 80 and Suffix 80 to be specific. There were TONS of dogfish on the surface eating eggs all day, I am sure a few were due to that, part of the dangers of using braided mainline. The big conventional guys use a very long topshot of mono which I am sure keeps their fish buttoned more often when the doggies are thick like that. The fact that some of these fish were chewing through the 100 mono says they were inhaling the plastics. I switched over from a HD 10/0 gamakatsu live bait hook to a 10/0 eagle claw circle, and still had the very next fish saw through the mono yet again. There were some really big fish around yesterday, my buddy landed a solid 69 inch fish,

View attachment 9171

and another boat had an 84" right near us, so really nothing you can do when big fish get angry in cold water like that. The guys all told me again that it was an amazing trip, one they will never forget, and will be back to do it again next year in June....This fishery is all about how we target these fish, seeing them in their feeding patterns, and trying to intercept and then conquer a force of nature that to say is majestic is an understatement. These are an amazing and powerful animal, and just getting to interact with them is a rush in itself. The catch is completely secondary to the hunt. The blood boiling, adrenaline pumping action is unlike any other style of fishing for pelagics out there. I cant wait to get back out there again, even after a long season like this. I know I will get a few more chances at them....:cool:

View attachment 9170

Attached Files:

6. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Nice job Dom, way to get it done for your crew. We made it out there late and just couldn't get a bite.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Congrats Dom, no one has put up the numbers you have this season and the success is well deserved. Wish I could have gotten up there to fish with you. Anthony told me to tell you hi last night as he asked how you were doing

8. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Congrats Dom, no one has put up the numbers you have this season and the success is well deserved. Wish I could have gotten up there to fish with you. Anthony told me to tell you hi last night as he asked how you were doing

Season still has a few weeks left.....

Tell Ant I said hi and keep his head up crossing over the middle.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Season still has a few weeks left.....

Tell Ant I said hi and keep his head up crossing over the middle.

I will ... he had about 160 all purpose yards saturday plus 3 sacks, a forced fumble but your going to have to give him some shit the next time you see him ......

:confused: he got caught from behind after a 70 yard kickoff return on the 1 inch line:mad:

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice report
    great pics.

11. aruvio

aruvio Banned

Tough break but at least you saw action, and put a fish in the boat. Any spots for Friday??

12. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Can you talk more about the Prototype OTI 7'6" rod??? I am getting ready to order some of the popping 7'6" 80's! Should I wait??

13. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Tough break but at least you saw action, and put a fish in the boat. Any spots for Friday??

Sorry Angelo, booked through the 8th

14. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Can you talk more about the Prototype OTI 7'6" rod??? I am getting ready to order some of the popping 7'6" 80's! Should I wait??

Wish I had more info for you, but TJ did promise to get me a few of the blanks if they dont go forward with it.

15. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Oh well, guess I could always sell the other ones and get the newer ones!

16. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Hey Dom great honest report bro. Like they say sometimes you get the bear other days the bear gets you. Nice to see the pigs are still there. We'll see you Fri morning if the weather is there. First round of coldies is on me.

17. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Taz

I'm working with new carbon materials for new popping and jigging rods.
    The new 5'4" jigging blank With this new carbon can lift 100kg, the heavy 7'6" can lift 70kg. We are working to make a perfect jigging and popping rods for big bluefin tuna.

I'll post some rods lifting photo soon.

18. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Wow!! Sweet!!! Are this like the blanks that Kil's buddies were using? They sound very cool!