Loctite 406 Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by lordhell, Apr 10, 2009.

1. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Are there other more readily available Loctite 406 alternatives out there? Something I can find at like Home Depot or Lowe's maybe? Loctite 406 is very high viscosity super glue, great for making hollow braid to mono/flouro connections cause it will seep through the braid and make contact with mono/flouro material inside.

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Are there other more readily available Loctite 406 alternatives out there? Something I can find at like Home Depot or Lowe's maybe? Loctite 406 is very high viscosity super glue, great for making hollow braid to mono/flouro connections cause it will seep through the braid and make contact with mono/flouro material inside.

Check with BHP Tackle, there's always the JB glue and activator. If I were using the glue for a serve, I would use the activator first since Superglues don't adhere to Spectra without it.

Thin, low viscosity superglues like Loctite 406 will penetrate knots and form a matrix around the fibers, holding the knots in place. So for knots they are good, taking some stress of the sharpest turns and making them stronger.

For more info, go to the Super Glues and Fishing section of this message.

Me and GSP by Max Garth

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Academy Sports carries a product called "Fishin' Glue" made by Carlson Tackle. It seems about the same viscosity as super glue when it comes out. But a very small amount does a great job of wicking itself all the way throuogh and all around the knot. It dries pretty quickly, bonds permanently, and stays flexible too.

My only complaint, and it's a pretty big one, is that the bottle really sucks. The tip was already broken on the 1st bottle I bought, then the one I swapped out broke off after 2-3 uses. So I have to put plastic wrap under the cap to close it, and then keep it in a baggie. I just keep it standing up with my gear, rig up before hand, and leave it on shore.

Not sayin it's as good as the 2-part recommended above. But for <$4 it may be worth a test... I've only used it to seal off finished end of PR knots and it does a really good job.

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I use Zap a Gap in the pink bottle. Ive used both Green and Pink bottles, both work equally as well. The Pink however is thinner and has a more penetrating quality. The Green will actually fill in gaps and is much thicker and takes more time to cure.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i need to get a few bottles of glue this weekend.

so, HD and Lowes doesnt have loctite 406? i wonder if my local hardware store does.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Look up a "bearing" supply company in your town. They carry about a dozen types of loctite. 406 is rather expensive. About $30 for 3/4 ounce.

Go here if you can't find it locally. All different sizes.

Amazon.com: loctite 406

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Go to Hobby lobby and in the plastic models section you'll find thinned super glue for abour $3.00 a bottle.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I think you meant low viscosity--thin super glue.

Zap pink label, available at most hobby or craft stores (check your yellow page directory), runs about $4 for .5 ounce. HobbyTownUSA has their own 'house brand' selection at $3 per .5 ounce. Generic (?) works fine.

When coating a wind-on serve, low viscosity cyanoacrylate can be hard to control. The guy at the hobby store recommended taking a large sewing needle and clipping off half of the eye end. Dip that end of the needle in the bottle, the glue gets trapped between the prongs, then rub the serve. Do this as many times as needed to saturate the thread. No excess, dripping, or wasted super glue.

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

DanS, you're right, I meant low viscosity. 406 does a real good job of seeping into the serve section though, but I will give zap a gap pink a try as well!

11. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I've used zap a few times IMO just as good as JB but at a fraction of the cost.