Locking Set Screws on Shimano Reel Handle

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by red34, Dec 31, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I'm referring to the tiny screw that fits into the grooves of the handle nut. Have any of you guys ever had the handle start to come off without this in place?

Reason I ask is I had installed a T-Bar handle for my TLD25 that I swapped out with the handle on my new Tyrnos because the Tyrnos is being used with much heavier line and drag. I wanted to keep it's stock handle because the Tyrnos handle is ten times more comfortable than the stock TLD handle. The handles both fit just fine...only problem is that the tapped holes for the set screws no longer line up. Is this a big deal?

2. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I would be leary of the handle becoming loose. Is it the aligment of the indentions on the nut with the set screw or is the OD of Tyrnos nut different than the one on the TLD?

3. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

4. alantani

alantani Senior Member

you might want to check to see if the handle nut for the tyrnos also fits the tld 25. that might do the trick.

5. red34

red34 Guest

you might want to check to see if the handle nut for the tyrnos also fits the tld 25. that might do the trick.

Ok, finally got some pictures of what I'm working with here. I personally wouldn't thing this would make too much of a difference, but I sure would hate for my handle to fall off!!!

Here are both reels with handles switched

[​IMG]

Here are the 2 handle set screws not matching up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'm making too big of a deal out of nothing but please let me know what I can do.

6. red34

red34 Guest

That fixed it. I can't believe I didn't think of that on my own. That's a little embarassing!

7. alantani

alantani Senior Member