Live report of bluefin hunt

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I left NJ around 9 pm last night and arrived at Green Harbor, MA at 2:00 am this morning. Choi and Park who arrived later woke me up at 4:30 am. We left dock around 5:00 am. It was calm and visivility was excellent. Capt Dom told me we were heading deeper water where bluefin popping bites had been hot last 10 days.

I decided to test Ron-Z lure (sluggo) as Ron Z of Ron Z lures sent me an e-mail asking how I did with Ron-z lures and I had an obligation to answer to him. :)
    Ron-Z lures are pricy, but they are well made (designed) lures.

Tuna started to make surface action here and there shortly after we arrived.
    Capt Chip and Roger (pametfisher) were nearby and we worked together to locate tuna. While trying to locate tuna, the trolled lure with deep diving lip ( I forgot the name of the lure) had a hit.
    Choi fought first, but he didn't last long and gave rod to me. I knew it was not small tuna and I put Smitty harness/JM fighting belt with Braid harness ring for a spinning rod. Dennis Braid sent it to me to test, but I haven't had chance to use it until today. I tried JM fighting belt, but I realized the plate is too small to fight big bluefin and Capt Dom gave me huge Alutecnos Fighting belt. With Braid hareness ring and super wide Alutecnos plate, I could fight pretty easy and effectively. However it gave me some trouble when tuna dove under the boat because I couldn't take rod off harness quickly to lower rods toward water. Even I could fight effectively, I hardly could gain lines and I didn't want to increase drag as I didn't know how was initial drag.

When I saw color, I tried too hard to gain line for gaffing, and when Capt Dom finally gaffed fish, I had nothing left. :) The tuna was 67" ( about 180 lbs), but it fought extremely hard for some unknown reason.

After testing Ron-Z lures for hours for nothing, I switched to a small Carpenter stickbait for testing. I bought the lures even it cost over $65 because I was told this stickbait works for tuna even Shibuki doesn't work.:) However I didn't see any special action of this lure. Contrary, the action didn't look good. But tuna might have different idea. I casted the lure just for testing it as there was no bird action or tuna surface action. After jerking the lure for a while to see how the lure act, I experimented to twitch slightly.
    After a few casting, I saw a big swirl behind the twitched [email protected]
    I kept casting to that direction and continued switching and pausing.
    Then,something held the lure. I cranked as fast as I could while setting hook hard, and tuna was on ! But it lasted only 5 - 10 seconds as the main Varivas Avani PE5 line was snapped when tuna started to run hard. :? There must be some damage on the line or might had a wind knot.
    Even I lost very expensive lure, I was very happy because I found a new tuna killer lure. :)
    We didn't have any more action except Capt Dom had a couple of hit on his casting iron and we decided to go back to the dock as storm was approaching.
    Paul of Anglers Proshop was on Capt Chip's boat and we had lunch together along with Capt Dom and Capt Chip.

I am staying in Cape Cod tonight to fish with Roger(pametfisher) on his boat out of Pamet Harbor, Cape Cod tomorrow morning.
    Hunt for bluefin continues. Of course there is a sign of "GONE FISHING' at my shop. :)

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

good report kil. the journey continues

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

On the way back, I scouted some other areas and found single fish popping up everywhere. Unfortunately for me, it turned into a game of Whack-A-Mole. I'd go where the fish were, and they'd dive down. There's always tomorrow---

4. gman

gman Senior Member

I'm jealous ..... I need to fish

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice fish. I'm jealous. How did the braid spinning harness feel? You actually look comfortable wearing it in the pictures. Good luck tomorrow.

Confucius say: Tuna love to steal expensive lures.:)

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Nice fish. I'm jealous. How did the braid spinning harness feel? You actually look comfortable wearing it in the pictures. Good luck tomorrow.

Confucius say: Tuna love to steal expensive lures.:)
    I was really comfortable and give more pressure to tuna with Braid spinning harness as I can use my legs with hands free. I can fight long hours with it without hurting my back if I have to.

7. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Nice fish Kil!! and great report,

8. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

I'm starting to believe that when I'm not there tuna bite if I show up they are gone :( . Great job Kil, hope you catch another love the pictures and reports!

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

is the saragosa still going strong?

10. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Kil, that harness looks really comfortable. I have a Braid harness but sits up on your lower back, not down low like yours. But I have not used it for spinning gear either. I have had very good luck with the Ronz last fall. But as you found too, no love so far with them this year!!

11. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I wonder about the strap being wrapped around the reel stem whether that is a good idea??? That is not the most strong location on the reel to connect something to that is going to take the brunt of the force of fighting the fish. The reel clamp I have connects to the reel seat area and as such is putting all of the force on the strongest part of the rod not on the reel. I have the AFTCO Max Force shoulder harness and it works great with the rod clamp. Nice fish Kil you finally got one up there to the boat.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Aug 1

I met Roger (Pametfisher) at 4:30 am at Pamet Harbor. Pamet Harber which is located a few miles south of Privincetown, Cape Cod is small, but beautiful harbor. It was about 25 mile run from the inlet to the fishing ground where we fished yesterday.
    After we passed Race Point, we saw a few feeding whales and we decided to cast a few poppers. While cating, a few whales came up to the surface very close to our boat. I should have taken some picutes, but I kept casting instead. As there was no taker, we decided to head for the planned destination. When we got there, it was pretty quiet. We came back to shallower area and saw Capt Dom working.
    Within half hour, more boats arrived and I could count a dozen boat.

I knew it was going to be pretty tough with many boat traffic.
    Still we had a few real good chances to cast poppers in feeding bluefin on the surface very closely, but they didn't take our lures.
    As we planned to fish half day, we came back to the dock by noon. We heard hot bites were going on around noon after we left the area. Nothing new.

though we didn't hook up any tuna, I really enjoyed out there with Roger.
    We fished in very relaxed atmosphere and talk about fishing, especially knots. Roger is developing very shot served knot for loop to loop connection. It is normal to insert mono three ft or more into hollow lines to make topshop, the problem is those knots lose casting distance when used for popping. Several fishermen and charter boat Capts have been experimenting Pametfisher's special knot without single failure yet.

Two day bluefin popping in Cape Cod was over and I drove to NJ to jig bluefin out of Cape May, NJ on Sunday. It is about 400 - 450 miles. Driving was OK, but I had to go to rest areas a few times to rest for a while.

Aug 2.

Capt Mike of the Fast Forward to ask me to meet at Cape Cod lunching area at 1:30 am on Sunday. As I arrived at NJ from Cape Cod around 6:00 pm Sat, I was thinking about going directly to Cape May and rest before I met Mike. But I arrived at Cape May only after 1:00 am while spening time with fishing buddies at Choi's restaurant in Edison, NJ Sat night.
    I finally had a nice sleep in three days on the way to Lobster Claw and I didn't wake up until the boat arrived there.
    We cruised around to find marks among boats, but we couldn't see any decent marks. We decided to look around away from the fleet and saw some red marks close to the bottom. It didn't take long when Fred's rod got bent. He was using my custom composite GUSA rod with Accurate B2 30. Even after fighting 30 mintues, the tuna didn't want to give in. Then rod got snappned in half ! Fortunately line didn't break. I took over the fihgt and felt the weight of the fish. It was not small tuna at all.
    While gaining line, tuna made violent headshakes and I felt nothing.
    The leader line was cut sharply, probably by fins of the fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made a second drift. Brian hooked up a fish even my jig got down the bottom. The tuna made a long horizontal run. After fighing for a while hook was pullled. I examined the hook and found he used 2/0 size hook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My moment came on the next drift. I felt something holing my Metallic Sardine jig while cranking. I thought I got someone's line, but I couldn't see any lines near me. I kept cranking and I felt same thing. After I cranking a few more turns, I felt a weight and cranked very hard to set the hook. The fish momentarilly follow it, then turned the head and ran.
    Mike asked how big the tuna was and I told him this was a small one. Indeed, it was only 90 lbs bluefin and it took me only 5 - 6 minutes to bring the fish to the boat even I used small Jigging Master PE4 reel filled with PE5 (50 lbs) line. This is the first time I saw a bluefin under 100 lbs this year.
    I asked Brian to take pictures of me with my camenra and he took some pictures, but this it the only picture I had. :)

[​IMG]

Mike got a couple of bumps on his jigs while I was fighting. We couldn't locate marks anymore and decided to check the area other boats were fishing. We saw the Free Spirit fighting a tuna and started drifting. It was not long before Fred got a fish on his diamond jig. The tuna fought pretty hard. After long 30 minutes Mike gaffed the tuna on the head expertly.
    I was waiting to clean the fish for pictures, but Mike put the fish in the tuna bag as soon as he cleaned the fish. I ask him to take pictures of the tuna later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna08-03-09t020.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna08-03-09t023.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna08-03-09t024.jpg

MIke told me the fork length of Fred's tuna is 66 inches, which is probably 170 lbs range.

Finally my three day journey in quest of bluefin is over. But I am readly go again after good sleep at home last night.

I saw a few boats which jig exclusively yesterdy. I have been telling other fishermen to try jig for tuna last over 20 years and I am glad more fishermen found the joy of tuna jigging. :)

one of jigging boats at Lobster Claw
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna08-03-09t015.jpg

Guys, go ang get them as many as you can get out. This kind of fishing doesn't last long.

13. gman

gman Senior Member

every trip ive been on has been cancelled have you gotten your drift tunes in yet

14. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

every trip ive been on has been cancelled have you gotten your drift tunes in yet

That has been the same problem I have had this year. I must have had at least 7 trips cancelled so far. Hopefully this weekend won't get cancelled either. :rolleyes:

BTW-Thanks for the report Kil. Good to know the fish are still around.

15. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I guess I should add that on the way in we dropped some lines for bass and blues. Kil had the big day, two Bass to my one Blue. Then we headed in ... ;)

16. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

Excellent report Ksong. Can't wait to give it a go next week in CC.