Live Report from Kodiak, Ak

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

06-25
    It was rainy and windy all day. No boat sailed today as we had wind upto 50 miles, but even miserable condition couldn't stop us fishing. :)
    We met our Captain Kageyama-san and river guide, Aoki-san, who guided Mogi-san in Kodiak, founder of Japanese style jigging.
    Aoki-san gave us valuable infomation about river fishing. He said sockeye run just started and fishing is still slow, but we decided to try anyway. With the help of Kageyama-san and Aoki-san, we got all the equipments and headed to the south.
    There were 4-5 flyfishermen fishing sockeyes and saw a few guys land sockeye. But I saw only couple of sockeye swimming up for a couple of hours. We decided to drive northwest of the Island for dolly vardon from shores, but it was dead low tide and high wind against us.
    However this kind of fishing remined me of fishing trout in Delaware river alone years ago. Suddenly I felt I have been involved in competitve fishing with crowd and forget about fishing in solitude for long. Even though I fish with Dave for the first time, we fished like we did for a long time together as Dave has as the same enthusiasm as much I have and has appetite for variety of fishes and fishing styles.

We are going to fish with Capt. Kageyama-san today and plan to stay in the bay as wind still is blowing until early in the afternoon.
    I hope Dave can catch his first halibut today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who said all fishes are big in Alaska ? :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It was still windy in the morning. After waiting a few hours we decided to go anyway as wind died down.

we jigged herring in the harbor as we thought we might have some baits. I enjoyed one of the best herring jigging in years. They are thick and big.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making enough baits, we fished close to the harbor in the bay in protected by islands. There were lots of cod and whiting. Yes, WHITING. Pacific whiting are big and very aggressive to attack big jigs. I might arrange whithing charter to Kodiak. :)

whiting is as big as small cod.
    [​IMG]

Pacific whiting hitting a big halibut jig
    [​IMG]

Dave's first Pacific cod
    [​IMG]

Dave and Gakeyama-san
    [​IMG]

Dave's first halibut ever. :)
    [​IMG]

As weather was getting better, we ventured outside of islands and we encountered constant 8 - 12 ft waves. We didn't fish long there,but we saw bigger fish there. We have a high expectation for tomorrow's fishing as weather forecast is great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dave's first lingcod[​IMG]

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Finally we had a nice weather. we decided to go to Whale Pass instead of Ugak Island as we thought there were still big swells in open water.
    David got his wish. He caught and released about 40 - 50 halibut on jigs though they were mostly 10 - 40 lbs range !!
    When halibut fishing was hot, it didn't take one minute to get bites. We also found cod honey hole. If we stayed there long, we could catch over 100 cods in 10 - 15 lbs range each easily.
    We plan to go to Ugak Island for big halibut and king salmon tomorrow.

our boat
    [​IMG]

Kodiak town
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scenary from Whale Pass
    [​IMG]

Dave fighting a halibut and the catch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were many multiple hookups
    [​IMG]

arrowtooth
    [​IMG]

herring marks. Herring and crill were thick in Whale Pass,
    [​IMG]

Halibut hit any jigs we used.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08059.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08060.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08081.jpg

Cod were thick.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08069.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08070.jpg

too many halibut. We released all halibut and cod.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08071.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/kodiak06-24-08075.jpg

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report kil, looks like you had a great time

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i need to get to alaska, that looks great and the scenery is fantastic

im driving from dallas right now....the scenery isnt as nice!

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

So many various Jigs, very cool.

You will get to experience two extremly different weather conditions
    between the 2 largest states in the USA on your trip.

Your trip will also demostrate the versitility of the equipment
    you chose to fish both Alaska and Texas.

Continued Good Luck.
    With out Bananas..

Kev

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

We fished an offshore bank near Ugak Island. We had a great success here on a trip a few years ago. But we encountered loads of cod school in nice 15 - 20 lbs range. I fished cod for long, but I never experienced such a hot cod bites. We made one long drift on the bank which lasted about one hour and I caught and released one halibut and 27 cod on jigs. It was not 'one cast, one cod', but it seems 'one turn of the reel, one cod'. This was my fourth trip to Kodiak, but We seldom caught cod on previous trips. We had to move after one drift to find halibut. We tried around Ugak Island, where we had 18 halibut in 50 -100 lbs in 50 minutes a few years ago, but we didn't find big ones this time though small ones are numerous.
    I am just happy Dave finally had a decent 60 lbs halibut on a local lead head jig. He even caught a nice king salmon on a special jig purchased at Mogi's shop in Japan. He said he didn't have even a touch on the jig when he fished in Tanzania, Africa, but it seems halibut loved it.

We fished over 12 hours and Kageyama-san said it was the time he fished so long in last three years. :) He jokingly said he hate me when weather is bad as he has to go anyway if I am around. :)
    We are going to fish red salmon in a river with a guide, O-Oki san today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

awesome shot of the King with the jig hangin' out of it's mouth!

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Nice pics Kilsong. Looks like another great jigging trip. Congrats!

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Today was our last day fishing in Kodiak and it was a special day for Dave and myself as we landed our first sockeye on fly rods with the guidance of Oki-san. We fished Pasagshak River, about 30 miles from Kodiak town. The river was crowded as it was Sunday, but they were much more civilized than the crowd in Salmon River, Upstate of NY and we had no problem to fish with them and fight sockeye through them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oki-san's special sockeye fly
    [​IMG]

Oki-san fighting a sockeye
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Dave fighting sockeye
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Nice report Kil,

What is the biggest fish on this trip?

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Nice report Kil,

What is the biggest fish on this trip?
    Hi TJ,
    We didn't catch any big one on this trip. Dave's 60 pound halibut might be the biggest. We might have had bigger halibut if we had used bait. For some reason, I haven't had any big halibut on jigs. When I fished with Capt Any of the Crackerjack out of Seward, we had a blast with 100 - 200 lbs halibut on bait, but I could land halibut on jigs only upto 70 lbs. :confused:
    I think the reason I catch smaller halibut on jigs is jigs are much smaller than bait they use.
    'Bigger bait, Bigger fish' is true for halibut fishing.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

It's not about catching as it's about fishing.
    Looks like some good fishing and beautiful scenery.

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks for the great report and pics Kil!!!

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It's not about catching as it's about fishing.
    Looks like some good fishing and beautiful scenery.
    This was one of the most relaxing fishing as I don't have to worry about bringing fish home. :)
    The most difficult part of arranging a trip is to bring fish home.
    When I arranged Sitka, AK trip, we had about 30 box of 75 lbs for 12 guys. :eek:
    We released most of fish on this trip except a few halibut and salmon to bring home (one 50 lbs box for each).

18. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Kil,

exellent pics!

Dave,

write a book about your travels, or at least a few good post!

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,

exellent pics!

Dave,

write a book about your travels, or at least a few good post!
    I asked the same thing to Dave as he travelled 20 coutries in last 6 month. :)
    The trip is not done yet for Dave as he is going to fish on 76 hour Big E trip with us and he plan to jig big AJ with Randy's group in NC for two days after the Big E trip.

20. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

I asked the same thing to Dave as he travelled 20 coutries in last 6 month. :)
    The trip is not done yet for Dave as he is going to fish on 76 hour Big E trip with us and he plan to jig big AJ with Randy's group in NC for two days after the Big E trip.

Dave & Kil,

The beer is already on ice! :D