360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bluefin popping last Sunday and Monday was fantastic in Southwest Corner of Stellwagen Bank early in th morning though smaller tuna dominated.

I went with Capt Jimmy of the No Time with two fishermen from Korea and Yong yesterday(10-27).
Jimmy loves to use live baits, but I insisted to go without baits as popping was great on Sun and Monday and I didn't want to lose fishing time to catch baits as they bite only 2 hours until 9:00 am on Monday.
Jimmy said we could catch whiting only one mile from fishing spot in SW corner and I had no reason to object it as I missed whiting fishing since 1991 in NY area. :)

We we got the SW Corner, we didn't see much bird action. When I saw Jimmy put down lines with live whiting, I knew I had to change my plan from popping to jigging. :)

While drifing with other fleet, we didn't get any bites. Jimmy went to the spot he liked and we immediately marked some tuna.
He used Park's Daiwa Mura Mura Expedition rod/Ocear Jigger 5000P for live bait and put the rod in the rod holer. Soon after, we heard big breaking sound, when we turned the rod got broken in half just below the ree
l seat and the rod/reel were gone !!!
As soon as I had a hit on my Grey Hooker jig another rod with live whiting went off. I let Park fight the fish and Yong fought other tuna.

continued after lunch. :)

·
2,924 Posts
when we turned the rod got broken in half just below the ree
l seat and the rod/reel were gone !!!

That had to be an uncomfortable feeling for both the tuna and the angler who lost his gear

·
1,703 Posts
Always a fear of mine. In fact, just replying to this post probably means I'm jinxing myself.

How do I undue the jinx??:eek:

Make sure your drag is set correctly? :rolleyes: (I hate hump day quarterbacks...)

·
2,835 Posts
He used Park's Daiwa Mura Mura Expedition rod/Ocear Jigger 5000P for live bait and put the rod in the rod holder. Soon after, we heard big breaking sound, when we turned the rod got broken in half just below the reel seat and the rod/reel were gone !!!

Obviously the drag was set to tight. That's a rare occurrence. I've only seen that happen one time. I have seen many rods and reels go overboard from rods not being placed in a rod holder while the angler was taking a leak.

When these things happen, silence usually occurs. After a few minutes someone will break out in laughter. It is rather funny to everyone except the guy who lost his tackle. It always makes for a good fishing story years later.

Tell Park the bright side. He can still use the gimbal butt section for a billy club.:D

What was the air temperature? It looks chilly.

·
1,201 Posts
we heard big breaking sound, when we turned the rod got broken in half just below the reel seat and the rod/reel were gone !!!

Aw C'mon Kil, we need PHOTOS!!!!!!!! :(

·
1,334 Posts
LOL! Those gimbals make great clubs to momentarily "stun" the doggies when taking the hooks out to release them safely :)

G

·
LOL! Those gimbals make great clubs to momentarily "stun" the doggies when taking the hooks out to release them safely :)

just like rubbing alcohol makes a nice bath for them.... ;)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jimmy never set the drag high. I believe drag didn't work properly for unknown reason.
Later on , we lost another tuna caught on my jig after fighting 30 minutes and he checked my PE5 reel and he said it is way too high though I set it about 22 - 23 lbs.
Strangely, the bottom part of rod was not in the rod holder and it was floating about 10 ft away from the boat.

·
145 Posts
KSONG CAN YOU PLEASE post a Pic of a JM 200G'B. Ive been try to PM you and contact you trough the shop email but I think your too busy due to Fishing. Btw awesome pics and Reports as always ;-)

I wan the pic becouse I want to see the colour of the rodbecouse I cant find A JM PS 200g'B in white colour :(

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KSONG CAN YOU PLEASE post a Pic of a JM 200G'B. Ive been try to PM you and contact you trough the shop email but I think your too busy due to Fishing. Btw awesome pics and Reports as always ;-)

I wan the pic becouse I want to see the colour of the rodbecouse I cant find A JM PS 200g'B in white colour :(
It is not just you I didnt' reply for a while. :) Business will be back to normal from Sat after fishing with them on Friday as they leave for Korea on Sat.
JM 200 B is blue, JM 150g is white and JM 100g is purple.

·
145 Posts
Now Im confused. on the JM web site I found that 200g'b red.

Which is nice Red or Blue? and Kil is it possible to get a JM PS 200g'B white. If so tell me so I can Buy it from you.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tuna I hooked up on my jig was a nice one as it almost dumped over 200 yards of line on 22 - 23 lbs drag. Park fought the fish about 30 minutes, but the main line of Varivas Avani BIgone PE6 lines got broken. :confused:
The other fish was fought by Yong and Jin alternately and we finally landed after long fight. Korean prototype rods were used for both fish.
The jigging rod has 400 lbs dead lifting power an the light popping rod with Stella 2000 has over 100 lbs dead lifting power.
As you see in the pictures, the popping rod was bent most 180 degree, but it didn't break. :eek: The fish was not small in 180 lbs range with 67 inches.
Shin,Korean TV host said to me that those rod can not be broken while fishing and I start to believe it. They are making prototype rods for me accoring to my specs. All I have to do is to give them info what kind of action I like.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts