360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a jig/pop forum, but for those of you that don't leave home without a big time setup, what do you prefer? It would mosty be for tuna and some sharks in New england, but also maybe some trips to NC or Florida.

I've got a tiagra 80W for a good deal, but am wondering if it makes more sense to get a 130. I obviously will fish either from a swivel holder. 130 seems just so big and I know the 80s are badass. Any thoughts?

·
969 Posts
Unless your fishing for Giant Tuna off New England, there's no reason to have a 130. A lot really depends on what you want to fish for.

Will you be Canyon fishing? I do a fair amount of shark fishing and the biggest reel we use is a 70VS. With the advent of Hollow Core braid backing, capacity limitations of smaller reels is generally eliminated.

·
Banned
831 Posts
80s and 130s!:eek: I've got TLD50lrs' on calstar 660xxh's on my boat and have caught tuna over 200lbs. I know the TLDs have a rep of breaking the frame but I've never had an issue.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...it will be a bit of giant tuna fishing, specially these next few years. I'm just thinking 1 or 2 for the boat, the rest will be 50Ws. I expect a fair number of 300+++ lb fish.I'd also like to spend some time at the canyons. One reason I am thinking about this is that I have had a few back issues and to make sure I get as much time on the water as possible, I'd like to be able to fish from the gunnel when I need to. I have used 80s from the gunnel and they feel like they can handle just about anything I need.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I'm thinking.....also better with a longer rod to drag spreader bars etc. and take on a 70+ inch bluefin as it rips a bluefish from a kite. Maybe match it with a 7'6" rod.

·
94 Posts
Thanks guys...it will be a bit of giant tuna fishing, specially these next few years. I'm just thinking 1 or 2 for the boat, the rest will be 50Ws. I expect a fair number of 300+++ lb fish.I'd also like to spend some time at the canyons. One reason I am thinking about this is that I have had a few back issues and to make sure I get as much time on the water as possible, I'd like to be able to fish from the gunnel when I need to. I have used 80s from the gunnel and they feel like they can handle just about anything I need.

Well if you're gunning for a 100" fish then you might want to give the 130's a go. Other than that the 80's are fine..

I still use tld 25's for the canyons, caught swords on them 4 times. My Big eye set up is a 50wlrs. Caught 5 in 12yrs.. no problem

Ahhhh.... the good old days when a 114h was enough, a 115 was preferred, and a 116 was insane...lol

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, amazing how things change. Well, those reels will still do it....The fish don't fight any harder today than they used to and in most cases they were bigger and more frequent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts