Lionfish invasion spreads to Pensacola rivers

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by buddyclaude, May 15, 2018.

1. buddyclaude

buddyclaude Senior Member

Our local mullet wrapper features a story about Lionfish invasion and actions to thin the herd.
    They speak of drone killers for 'em. I see lion fish being caught on hook and line, three by me.
    A decade or so ago I first saw them while lobstering in the keys. They have infested the flower gardens banks. There are many videos on YT showing the varmints taking over wrecks and reef structures.

From the article:
    Organizers of an upcoming lionfish roundup hope to collect thousands of the invasive and venomous predators, which are now being found in rivers and estuaries outside of the Gulf of Mexico.

Local environmental groups, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and divers from throughout the Panhandle region will gather at the Flora-Bama Ole River Grill and Yacht Club in Perdido Key on Friday and Saturday for the annual Lionfish Removal Festival and Tournament.

Event organizer Brian Asher said the annual lionfish roundup is the largest such event anywhere in the world. Asher said the goal of the festival is to harvest more than 15,000 lionfish from local waters during the two-day event.

More here:

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/loca...nsacola-rivers-strengthens-mission/607224002/

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

They eat good.

3. Gorge

Gorge Junior member

How do you clean them without getting injured?

4. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

Cut off the spines first with clippers. Be careful not to stick yourself, then fillet away

5. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’ve always wanted to one in an aquarium. So glad to live in Florida. I can just collect my own fish. :)

6. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Seen fillets at an upscale NYC fish market
    at $45.95 lb

I've eaten them fire grilled whole over coconut husks,
    tasty fish, white flaky meat, reminds me of grouper a bit.

LF SPJ
    lf2.jpg

lf1.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

New it. Perfect denizen for the snoopy rod brigade. :)