line twist

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by LEXPRO, Jun 13, 2008.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

100lb braid on my Avet 30 got twisted up when trolling. Is the line bad now or is it still good?

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Braid doesn't appear to be affected twist like mono.

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

You can let your line out of the back of the boat on a SLOW troll...(grin)....
    and then reel it in to get the twist out.

Please don't ask about how I let line out of the back of the Big E when we were cruising at about 20 kts to get the twist out of my braid.

When I finished....the twist was definitely gone. :D

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

You can let your line out of the back of the boat on a SLOW troll...(grin)....
    and then reel it in to get the twist out.

Please don't ask about how I let line out of the back of the Big E when we were cruising at about 20 kts to get the twist out of my braid.

When I finished....the twist was definitely gone. :D

And so was the line!:eek:

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

what about the rod? did it survive?

braid is more foregiving on twists.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

7. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Letting the line out while boat is moving is probably the best way to get the twist out of your line. A little precaution is necessary as you dont want too much speed or you will be fighting a 200# tuna. Kevin was helping someone on the big E who had not spooled his reel very well .Line was too loose on the spool. The reel was a 9/0 .I suggested he put his harness on to make reeling in the line a lot easier. He said he would be alright as there was nothing attached to the line. Standing a few feet from the railing and the big E doing about 22 knots let out the line. When there was enought drag and the line started singing off that 9/0 the guy put the reel in gear. How he held on the rod is beyond me .When he finally got his line back on the reel 9/0 (about 30 min and two sore ribs) he had to go lay down for awhile.

8. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

When hollow spectra becomes twisted--as all does with use--the twist makes it very difficult to thread even a small needle or doubled wire into the hollow. That means you'll have a hard time pulling a loop into the end of the line or splicing on other line onto it. Nasty surprise; but, the good news is that you don't have to straighten out the whole spool to remedy the problem.

9. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

You have to admit that the spectra was nicely packed when he finally got it back on the reel... :)

Letting the line out while boat is moving is probably the best way to get the twist out of your line. A little precaution is necessary as you dont want too much speed or you will be fighting a 200# tuna. Kevin was helping someone on the big E who had not spooled his reel very well .Line was too loose on the spool. The reel was a 9/0 .I suggested he put his harness on to make reeling in the line a lot easier. He said he would be alright as there was nothing attached to the line. Standing a few feet from the railing and the big E doing about 22 knots let out the line. When there was enought drag and the line started singing off that 9/0 the guy put the reel in gear. How he held on the rod is beyond me .When he finally got his line back on the reel 9/0 (about 30 min and two sore ribs) he had to go lay down for awhile.

10. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I spool my own reels. I used a Sato winder which has the guts to get it on really tight. Start off with a full spool. When a big tuna gets through with it, my full spool is now 1/4" to 1/2" down and I did not lose any line. :) :) :)

No matter how tight you pack, the tuna can do a better job.