Line Suggestions - Ocea 4000P

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by BretABaker, Jul 25, 2008.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I need to fill my Ocea by next Sunday when I go bluefin jigging in Cape May (or to the canyons for yellows if they're gone)....what does anyone/everyone recommend:

- Varivas Avani Tuna PE8
    - Varivas Avani Jigging PE8
    - OTI
    - Daiwa Saltiga Braid PE8

Now - the prices are quite close, within $30 I believe. Does anyone have experience with the Varivas? Also - this may be a question for TJ but is the OTI 80lb closer to PE6 or PE8? Would the 120lb be PE8?

Thx

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

bret
    not familiar with the varvias
    OTI 80 is closer to 80:D
    seems to be a very popular jigging line

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have the Varivas SMP GT Super Max on an SR20 (90 pound) It is smooth as silk and I have tested it with a 40 turn Bimini hooked directly to the scale at up to 60 pounds steady pull, several times. I have unfortunately not caught anything on it yet.

Russ

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah, see the ocea holds 300m of pe8 exactly......so it looks like the OTI 80lb is PE6....i guess id get the 120lb then.

i used the daiwa in NC, its the cheapest but i did like it.

I'm a math major and an actuary, so the conversion of meters to feet might not be too hard....though its nice that OTI is in feet.

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Bret, I have my OJ 4000P spooled with Varivas Avani tuna PE8 which is supposed to break at 112 pounds. This line is super smooth and did not break on my last trip. I caught 3 AJs up to 40 pounds and a large red snapper with the set up.

My OJ had 100lb Powerpro:( before I spooled it with the V. Avani. I kept breaking the PP, so no more PP for me. I kept maybe 50-70 yards on the spool as backing and the OJ still took the 300meters of V. Avani tuna. Thus, I feel I have about 400 yards of line on that reel!!! It is hard to believe it will hold that much, but pack it on tight and it will. I ike my OJ filled as much as possible because I feel the gear ratio is a little low for very deep drops when a fair amount of line is let off the spool. Decreasing spool size will drasticly decrease retrieve on any reel.

I also have the PE6 (80pound) saltiga braid and really like it. This line is on a different reel.

I have heard good reports about the OTI line. The OTI line is silky smooth, but I haven't used it. Just felt it.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Thanks bellyups. Hopefully TJ will chime in (otherwise i'm calling him tomorrow!) to say what PE te 120lb line is. I'd be fine getting 300yds of that on the reel. The Daiwa was nice as well, but I can only get 500m+ of PE8 so that's sort of a waste.

I wonder what the difference is between the avani tuna and avani jigging max.

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I wonder what the difference is between the avani tuna and avani jigging max.

I don't know. I thought the Tuna was supposed to be stronger, but I am not sure.

I would have 50-100 yards of backing on the OJ before spooling with 300 meters. If you have a little extra at the end, then that is ok as you will have a full spool and can always use the extra in the future for splicing.

That OJ 4000 P is a killer reel!!! Great choice and enjoy it!! What rod do you have paired with it?

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Bret, do me a favor and ask TJ what happened when the stella 20000 was spooled.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I don't know. I thought the Tuna was supposed to be stronger, but I am not sure.

I would have 50-100 yards of backing on the OJ before spooling with 300 meters. If you have a little extra at the end, then that is ok as you will have a full spool and can always use the extra in the future for splicing.

That OJ 4000 P is a killer reel!!! Great choice and enjoy it!! What rod do you have paired with it?

i'm using the 500g jigging master with it.....people think its a bit long to fast jig with but i've done it with a 665 and its been fine. i love that rod.

havent made the call on line....yet!

10. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Why are you asking??:confused:
    This is page one stuff.

11. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

............"I'm a math major and an actuary, so the conversion of meters to feet might not be too hard....though its nice that OTI is in feet....."
    :confused:

Let me know if I can help with the quick math. ...

I have found the Saltaga Dendoh product ok
    Although deliveries slow.

I saw a bunch of OTI line once but Mr Bill had it under guard and I
    was not able to molest it :(

12. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I have 4 reels spooled w/ OTI PE8 right now and it's great line. If you just really want to spend the money on Varivas (which I love too), knock yourself out, but it's definitely not necessary.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

All PE lines you mentioned are fine. If you want to save money, fill 200 yards with 80 lbs Tuf Line and 100 meter or 100 yards of PE color coded line connected by uni to uni knot.
    Great jigging reel. It the reel is used mostly for tuna jigging, I'd rather buy 5000P instead as the line capacity of 4000P is marginal.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

All PE lines you mentioned are fine. If you want to save money, fill 200 yards with 80 lbs Tuf Line and 100 meter or 100 yards of PE color coded line connected by uni to uni knot.
    Great jigging reel. It the reel is used mostly for tuna jigging, I'd rather buy 5000P instead as the line capacity of 4000P is marginal.

it will likely be used primarily for tuna. If I find that 300m of PE8 is an issue I will respool with PE6........or just increase the drag :).

The first chance to use the reel will be next weekend in NJ. Did you go much this week? Anuvat and Dom just got another monster yesterday....on a popper! :eek: :D

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh i just read your report, it seems the action is very off/on based on days. perhaps we'll have to go to the canyons instead

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i am going with 400yds (or as much as I can get on) of OTI 80lb :)

17. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Bret, I always mount my reel on a roller guide rod when lining and have Grescobia hold on as tight as he can. I think he has developed holes in has hands over the past year as I must reel in with 10 pounds of pressure or so. It is a workout.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

oh i just read your report, it seems the action is very off/on based on days. perhaps we'll have to go to the canyons instead
    Bret, It looks bluefin run is finally winding down out of Cape May..
    Caynon chunking bites hasn't started yet though they catch yft on troll at canyons. The best option is to go to Cape Cod Bay for tuna popping as they resumed biting on poppers a few day ago.
    I am going with Capt Dom on Monday and I can give uptodate report.

19. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

varivas jigging max power is thiner and stronger for the pe rating compared to the regular varivas avani. the varivas is great line.

20. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the difference of the two is similair to the ygk brand. they have the regular jigman and the ultra jigman. the ultra jigman is thinner with a higher test, but i believe it is a marketing scheme. there are alot of problems with the ultra jigman line. i think thats why there are problems with breakoffs. i my self used a conservative amount of drag based on the breaking strength and still got handled! regular varivas avani jigging is still my favorite of the pe lines.

21. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Do you think Varivas make their own lines ? :)