Line questions......

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Bill Fisher, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

anyone have any idea what the capacity is for 120# OTI DepthFinder line on a Penn 30VSX?

and what do i want on a big spinner for jiggin'-n-poppin'........ hollow? or non-hollow?

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

anyone have any idea what the capacity is for 120# OTI DepthFinder line on a Penn 30VSX?

and what do i want on a big spinner for jiggin'-n-poppin'........ hollow? or non-hollow?

On the big spinner, JB 60# hollow with spliced end-loops will give you 95 lb.+ connection strength. That's about 40% stronger than knots (except a Bimini or P.R.). There's no downside to the hollow-weave pattern for casting, jigging, you just pay a little more than some other braids. BHP Tackle has a high-tension winding setup for spinning spools now that does a great job.

PF

3. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

Its been my experience that hollow gets wind knots way easier than solid on a spinner. so much so that after a few trips I changed mine to solid.

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I agree with pametfisher for your spinner.

I would add some Jerry Brown or Tuff line onto the spool of your Penn 30VSX before I finished with the OTI depthfinder line...

I would buy 300 yd spools of each. I would save some 50 or so yards of the JB for rigging windons...

I would really wanna be on big fish before I used a Penn 30 for jigging... Nice chunking reel though.. I have never considered using a depthfinder line for that..

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

?

if you were to go solid OTI, itd hold a whole lot. I got 360yds of it onto a trinidad 40 for a comparison.

you gonna jig with the 30?....or just chunk/troll/baitfish kind of reel?

6. Bill Fisher

the 30VSX will be for jigging and chunking only........ Penn sez it'll hold 330yds of 100lb braid and a topshot of 50yds 100lb mono and i wanna go straight braid all the way to whatever leader i'll be using to chunk or jig

my guess is it'll hold maybe 350 yds of 120lb OTI DepthFinder at best but i guess could order 400yds if it's only sold in 100yd increments........

the spinner'll be for jigging and popping only but probably more for jigging and i'd really like to fill it full of 100lb spectra....... i can still cast heavy topwaters with that can't i?

you see,...... i don't know, have much experience with, nor trust braid or the knots tied in it..... that's why the overkill

that, and i'm not thrilled at the idea of spending 20-r-30 minutes reeling in 100 to 200lb fish........ i wanna 'hoss'em' in quick and move on....... if i wanna be sporty, i'll plop my arse in a fighting chair and play a marlin ;)

all my fishing is being done on private boats at this point and when there's only three of us and were all hooked up at once, we don't have no deckhand to call over with the gaff....... sometimes we gotta just tighten down on the drag and set one off in a rod holder to go gaff the first fish in

7. Bill Fisher

oops!...... forgot to say thanx for all the replies so far

so.....

THANX!