Line for stella 10K SW

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by iyaman, Oct 26, 2009.

1. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

What braided line do you use on your 10K SW Stella that will get you 300 yds plus @ 12-15 ft 80 - 100 lbs leaders? I just went to BPshop and bought #65 suffix and they were only able to fit in 280 yds without the leader. Thanks.

2. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Daiwa Boat Braid PE-5

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

What braided line do you use on your 10K SW Stella that will get you 300 yds plus @ 12-15 ft 80 - 100 lbs leaders? I just went to BPshop and bought #65 suffix and they were only able to fit in 280 yds without the leader. Thanks.

280 yards is a lot of line, it might be enough. What are you fishing for?

If you'll be casting this, 12-15' leaders sound a bit long for 100# mono/fluoro. 9-11' would cast better.

How much drag do you plan to run? How are you planning to connect the leader to the braid?

4. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

and just an FYI I was able to get 277 yds of #60 JB Hollow on my 10k SW with enough room for a #100-130lb windon

5. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Samurai Braided Lines # 70lbs. You'll get 300yds plus some room for your leader.

6. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

280 yards is a lot of line, it might be enough. What are you fishing for?

If you'll be casting this, 12-15' leaders sound a bit long for 100# mono/fluoro. 9-11' would cast better.

How much drag do you plan to run? How are you planning to connect the leader to the braid?

Thank you guys for all your input.

I'll be using it jigging ( I know it's high speed ) Texas oil rig. I'll also use it for popping once I can find a good deal popping rod. I'll probably use pr knot to connect leader for now. #20 drag is my initial setting. Thank you.

7. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Thank you guys for all your input.

I'll be using it jigging ( I know it's high speed ) Texas oil rig. I'll also use it for popping once I can find a good deal popping rod. I'll probably use Page Ranking knot to connect leader for now. #20 drag is my initial setting. Thank you.

I would go with the Boat Braid then since it's metered. Or even up to PE-6. I was able to get 300m of PE-6 Boat Braid on my 10k although it was a bit too packed to comfortably fish with:eek: But stick with the P.R. or a solid to hollow spliced loop to windon to keep the max ABS possible so you can really put the breaks on fishing around structure. Good luck.

8. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

I would go with the Boat Braid then since it's metered. Or even up to PE-6. I was able to get 300m of PE-6 Boat Braid on my 10k although it was a bit too packed to comfortably fish with:eek: But stick with the P.R. or a solid to hollow spliced loop to windon to keep the max ABS possible so you can really put the breaks on fishing around structure. Good luck.

Again, thank you. If you were able to get 300 meters of PE-6 on the 10 K, then 300 yds with 12ft leader will probably fit in then.

9. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Again, thank you. If you were able to get 300 meters of PE-6 on the 10 K, then 300 yds with 12ft leader will probably fit in then.

Just keep in mind this was with a spooling machine under a good amount of tension using leather gloves ;)

10. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

Just keep in mind this was with a spooling machine under a good amount of tension using leather gloves ;)

Can you purchase the daiwa boat braid in 300 or 600 yds? Where's a good place to buy?

11. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

the PE-5 is only available in 1800m spools. PE-6 comes in 300m spools. don't ask me why this is but yes it is annoying.

I have been fortunate enough to have tackle shops in the area that sell both, but many places online carry it now if you can't find it locally. Good luck.

12. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

the PE-5 is only available in 1800m spools. PE-6 comes in 300m spools. don't ask me why this is but yes it is annoying.

I have been fortunate enough to have tackle shops in the area that sell both, but many places online carry it now if you can't find it locally. Good luck.

Thank you.

13. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

14. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

15. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks. Are they just out of stock for pe5 or it just not come in 300M spool?

They don't sell 300M spools of PE-5 daiwa boat braid. If you want to use PE-5 line, go with Daiwa Samurai 70lb in 300yds.

16. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

They don't sell 300M spools of PE-5 daiwa boat braid. If you want to use PE-5 line, go with Daiwa Samurai 70lb in 300yds.

I'll try that. Is the breaking strenght really at 70 lbs?

17. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'll try that. Is the breaking strenght really at 70 lbs?

Yes, Daiwa Braids break at very near what they state. If you want some insurance, better to go with the 80 lbs braid.

18. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

Yes, Daiwa Braids break at very near what they state. If you want some insurance, better to go with the 80 lbs braid.

Can you fit in Daiwa Samurai braid 300 yds # 80 on the 10K stella SW with enough room for a 15 ft leader?

19. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You'll get more than 250 yds, which is more than enough unless you're targeting 200lb class fish and up. If you are targeting 200lb class and up, you should not be using the Stella 10kSW in the first place, you should be using Stella 18kSW which will get you plenty of capacity for huge trophy fish.

20. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

You'll get more than 250 yds, which is more than enough unless you're targeting 200lb class fish and up. If you are targeting 200lb class and up, you should not be using the Stella 10kSW in the first place, you should be using Stella 18kSW which will get you plenty of capacity for huge trophy fish.

gotcha. Thanks again for your help.