Line for popping

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by melglass, Jul 16, 2009.

1. melglass

melglass Junior member

Would you use 65lb or 80lb tuf-line Xp for a stella 10000fa for popping? I have 80 on my 18000 saragosa but am worried about the 10000fa capacity.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Would you use 65lb or 80lb tuf-line Xp for a stella 10000fa for popping? I have 80 on my 18000 saragosa but am worried about the 10000fa capacity.

Can you tell us what fish, average size class and location you fish, this would help out tremendously

3. melglass

melglass Junior member

Fish out of Louisiana on private boat. Rod is a 40/60 tuna sniper.

4. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I use 65lb on my 10kfa for casting

5. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

I used 80lb tuftline not sure if it was plus or xp, but I got alot of wind knots, a heads up. Think it might be b/c tuftline is a bit hollow and does not have enough density.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I used 80lb tuftline not sure if it was plus or xp, but I got alot of wind knots, a heads up. Think it might be b/c tuftline is a bit hollow and does not have enough density.

The tuffline xp is not coated and I haven't had any problems casting with the 50, 65 or 80.

d-a

7. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I would use the lighter line (65#) and make sure my connections were strong so that I had the added capacity. You could splice 5 yards of hollow on top (http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/glueless-solid-hollow-spectra-splice-full-strength-4389/) and splice an end loop in the hollow, then you could use windon leaders with a short splice. If you took those steps your setup would be as strong as those who use 80# braid and tie knots and you'd have most of the benefits of a knotless system.

I use straight JB 60# hollow and have never had a single wind knot. In my experience the keys for all spectra lines are: to get the line to lay with one twist per revolution of the spool (http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/spooling-minimum-line-twist-spinning-reels-4657/), keep the line packed tightly; keep the leader knot off the spool; and keep the spool less than 1/8" from full.

(The density of all Spectra lines is the same. There is no space inside a hollow style weave once it is under any tension.)

8. melglass

melglass Junior member

I have been using the 80 on my saragosa without problems even with it over filled. Just picked the 10000 up and was going to use more 80 from my 1200yd spool but thought capacity may be an issue.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Tufline xp is coated line while Tufline Plus is not coated.
    You get a little more line capacity with Tufline Plus.