Line Capacity of Saltist 40

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Sea Bear, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I'm thinking of purchasing a saltist 40 for deep water cod and tilefish. Does anyone have any real life experience with how much 65# spectra this reel holds? I want to make sure I will have the line capacity necessary for fishing the deep. Thanks.

2. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

I was able to pack 300yrds of 65# Tufline XP with room on top for more spectra and a top shot.

I had Basil spool it for me and he was able to pack on 400yrds of 65# hollow JB with room for my 25ft top shot (60lb Flouro)

Only diff was this was a Satliga SA40. This should give you an idea. :)

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I bottom shot mine with Ande 30# a couple times around the spool and then put on 300 yds of 65# Tuf-Line XP. 300 yds equals 900 feet, so you should be good to go, unless you are jigging the Marrianna Trench.

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

thanks, i see you live in morristown, i'm in madison, small world...

5. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I have a high speed levelwind saltist 40. We did a thin mono backer and then filled it with between 350 and 400 yds of 70# Daiwa Samurai Braid. Still room for a top shot.

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

490 yards of 50# spectra. So you should get about 450 yards of 65# spectra.

And if you go with PE braid such as Daiwa Boat Braid which is even thinner than Spectra you should do just as well or better with a greater weighted line.

I own the Daiwa SA40 and that has 300m (328 yard) of Daiwa PE-6 and it has plenty of room left over for more line.

Ty

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

thats the guy i was telling you about when you were here.
    small world:D

8. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Sure it. :D

LMK if you ever want to get some trips going since we are locals.

thats the guy i was telling you about when you were here.
    small world:D

Hey that's me! :D :p

And Paul is the guy who builds all my rods. :)

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Hey that's me! :D :p

And Paul is the guy who builds all my rods. :)
    yeah i told him he just missed your new rod. but you guys are close enough to checkem out.

he has his builder also. he was just here playing,:D
    and left with a nice blank.
    i had the 50 here, (good price) he may be back.

10. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

yea definitly, i guess being newer to the site i'm not familiar with what kinda fishing everyone exactly does. 99% of the time i fish off the party boats, i'll fish for anything inshore (blackfish is tops if i'm fishing where i can see land) but tuna fishing is my number 1 choice.

11. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

yeah i told him he just missed your new rod. but you guys are close enough to checkem out.

he has his builder also. he was just here playing,:D
    and left with a nice blank.
    i had the 50 here, (good price) he may be back.

sure did, thanks for the nice deal on the super seeker cjbf70h, looking forward to throwing either an accurate bx2-600 or a john baker 6 on it for some tuna jigging! the reel (silver accurate or gold baker) will depend on the color wraps I choose when i get it built) - having color cordinated matching equipment is half the enjoyment of using your gear - showing it off! ahh, decisions decisions...

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

about a little over 400 yards. i have 65# line and 300 feet 80# metered line on top

13. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Well after asking the original question I figured I would also provide the end result.

I picked up 150 and 300 yard spools of 65LB Power Pro today while checking out Trophy Tackle today for the first time.

Here is what 450 yards of 65LB looks like (keep in mind I did this by hand using only a couple wraps around my sleeve to provide tension). I'm sure if this was done using a professional line winder 450 yards would fill perfectly. As you can see its slightly overfilled.

Attached Files:

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I live in Livingston, NJ. We should get together soon. :)

I found the best way to put braided line on my reels is to use fish. After I put braided line on my reel, I go jigging. Once fish hit my jig, I let the line out with free spool. When all my line out, then I start to fight. It is much better than using a machine and it is fun. :)

15. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

I found the best way to put braided line on my reels is to use fish. After I put braided line on my reel, I go jigging. Once fish hit my jig, I let the line out with free spool. When all my line out, then I start to fight. It is much better than using a machine and it is fun. :)

I like dat:D :D :D Got to be alot of fun there.

16. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I live in Livingston, NJ. We should get together soon. :)

Kil, I'd love to get together, I'll be stopping by your shop in a few weeks. We can talk then. :)

Nice way of putting braid tight on the spool :D . What I'll do is when I first bring it out on a boat I'll run the line off the stern while underway until its nearly all the way out then reel it back in. You can pack it nicely on the bottom of the spool with all the resistance and as for line near the top, we'll, like you say, thats what the fish is for. ;)

17. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I got bored and built my own spooler! I load up the line onto my Tekota 800 (will fit over 600 yds of 20# mono supposedly!), put the other reel in the other reel seat, set the drag on the Tekota, and crank it on! I just need to get my line counters I ordered so I can actually measure the braid! I can fill the Tekota from the line spool or from the regular reel. Worked very nicely on my Stradic 8000! Very tightly packed, when I pressed on the braid, it felt solid! This is great for spooling smaller reels by using the drag of the Tekota for tension.