360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a few rods for light tackle fishing smaller poppers & stick baits when they are feeding on small micro baits. Rod will target sub 100lb class and paired with 8k Stella

These are 3 on my radar, any feedback is much appreciated.

Salty El Maestro 82M
Ripple Fisher Big Tuna 85F
Yamaga Bluesniper 85/4 Canary

Casting distance is plus and from what I've read so far the Canary really shines here though I cant imagine the 85F would be far behind..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been wanting to get an 85F for a while now for that, though someone here said they didn't cast lures even in the 40g range very well. I'm very curious about that, given Ripple's reputation and the boldness of their claim that a PE 4-6 rod can cast lures under 20g.

I have an 82M I had wrapped conventionally and use with a Tranx 400 for that exact application, first fish just happened to weigh in over 100. I pulled way harder on that rod than it ever really should be, but it still worked. But different with a baitcaster vs a spinning reel, but I would like a touch more casting distance at times, so maybe one of the 85s could give that. Overall still a great rod for casting and working small, light lures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been wanting to get an 85F for a while now for that, though someone here said they didn't cast lures even in the 40g range very well. I'm very curious about that, given Ripple's reputation and the boldness of their claim that a PE 4-6 rod can cast lures under 20g.

I have an 82M I had wrapped conventionally and use with a Tranx 400 for that exact application, first fish just happened to weigh in over 100. I pulled way harder on that rod than it ever really should be, but it still worked. But different with a baitcaster vs a spinning reel, but I would like a touch more casting distance at times, so maybe one of the 85s could give that. Overall still a great rod for casting and working small, light lures.
Heres a video of the canary 85/4 casting various loads, looks impressive

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yamaga makes the blanks for Ripple F. So you cant go wrong with Yamaga.
But if you want a blank with more lift power/higher quality, the blanks made for Ripple Fisher is the better choice imo.
I recommend the 85, or the 83 (if you can get your hands on one) .

What size of fish are you going for? I use the 85 for YFT 50kg and up pe8. Casts plugs 60g> very nicely.
If your using pe 6, maybe the 83 would be better. But they are hard to find.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Yamaga makes the blanks for Ripple F. So you cant go wrong with Yamaga.
But if you want a blank with more lift power/higher quality, the blanks made for Ripple Fisher is the better choice imo.
I recommend the 85, or the 83 (if you can get your hands on one) .

What size of fish are you going for? I use the 85 for YFT 50kg and up pe8. Casts plugs 60g> very nicely.
If your using pe 6, maybe the 83 would be better. But they are hard to find.

Cheers
plenty of 83’s here in the US

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Ryan, I ended up with a Yamaga Canary for light plugs and found a RF 83. The fit & finish on the Ripple is top notch for sure!
You will not be disappointed with the canary. I have been doing this for a hood while now and I consider it one of the best overall light tuna rods : from fit and finish , to the very light weight for a 8.6 rod , feeling of the blank ( nice and crisp but not stiff) and very well thought guide train.
let me know how you like it , I think you will be just as pleased as I am by those rods

1 - 20 of 24 Posts