Light-to-Medium Popping Rod Blank???

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by red34, Dec 30, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I have a Daiwa BG30 spooled with about 300yds or so of 50# spectra but the rod I have it on isn’t heavy enough for a decent sized king or bft. What blank would you guys recommend for a light-to-medium sized popping outfit? I have built a 50# OTI popper, but I think it’s a little too heavy for that reel. And too nice for that matter.

I am working out of the Mud Hole and Baston/Rainshadow catalog.

Also, what mods, if any, should I do to that reel to keep it from blowing up if I hook something decent?

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

for batson. i just got some of the RCJB106MH
    they look nice, we have been testing them,
    but they look like they may work, just cut to length you need.
    not a monster fish blank, but may be good for your reel

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have a Daiwa BG30 spooled with about 300yds or so of 50# spectra but the rod I have it on isn’t heavy enough for a decent sized king or bft. What blank would you guys recommend for a light-to-medium sized popping outfit? I have built a 50# OTI popper, but I think it’s a little too heavy for that reel. And too nice for that matter.

I am working out of the Mud Hole and Baston/Rainshadow catalog.

Also, what mods, if any, should I do to that reel to keep it from blowing up if I hook something decent?
    If you are looking for lighter than 50lbs OTI blank, chekc St Croix Premier 20 -40 lbs blanks. I think they have 7' and 7'6". They are proven blanks/rods by tuna/striped bass guides in Cape Cod.

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Look at Rainshadow RX7, SW1088 (30lb) or maybe SW1089 (40lb) too. Small diameter tips and moderate-fast action. The 1088 taper seems perfect to load up and chunk even lightest lures a mile, but with a lot of backbone. It's 8'10" so it could easily be cut from the butt only for throwing lighter swim baits/poppers/live baits, or both ends (without losing much action) for heavier poppers/bait. Not the lightest weight blanks out there, but should be very durable with fairly thick wall graphite with good backbone.

I got mine on sale and I'm really impressed with the quality for what I paid... But they are normally $100+. At that point, I just don't know enough to say how they stack up against similarly priced blanks.

I still think the Smith KGS 70MH (actually 7'3") is one of the nicest 30-50lb blanks out there, and 2-piece too. But they are impossible to find.

Jason

5. red34

red34 Guest

Has anyone ever used the Lamiglas GLB90-2M? It's 7'6" 2-piece and rated for 30#

Also similar is the St. Croix 2C8HF2. 8'0 2-piece rated 15-40. Kil, is that similar to the ones you're talking about?

6. red34

red34 Guest

I took an Outer Banks Outfitters CP9SCT 9' Power Stick Graphite Surf Rod that I had sitting around not being used. I cut about 2 ft off the butt section to make the OAL 7'3" and converted it into a butt joint 2-piece popping rod.

I had added a few guides to give it a more parabolic shape, but it was very heavy. With the old reel seat and cork tape stripped off, it weighs about 1/2 of what it used to. All I need are new grips and a new reel seat and it's good to go.

The rod I was going to build was probably going to be about $120 and these components are only going to be about $12. It's a little lighter than I wanted to build, but that's really the only problem. So the way I see it, if it works cool and if not, no harm done since I wasn't using the rod anyway.

Here it is chopped to 7'3" and the butt completely stripped

[​IMG]

When I finish with it you won't have any idea that it is and Outer Banks Rod

[​IMG]

7. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

I have a 50lb spinner that was built with St. Croix Musky 2m76HF wich is a 30-65 rated blank. This blank is extremely light weight. It has a really nice bend to it with 15lbs. I can dead lift 20lbs with it, but thats about the limit. New for this year they offer it in an 8ft lenght, 2m80hf.