light tackle Samson fish

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ryan st, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ryan st

ryan st Junior member

hi all, im new to the site and some of the fish you guys get are nothing short of spectacular. any way i though id would share some pics of a trip we did to our samson fish spot, The majority were caught using light baitcaster reels and 20 pound braid and either plastics or poppers... no jigs as we were only fishing 8 meters of water( we tried and they wouldnt touch em).

any way pictures speak louder than words.

Attached Files:

2. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Awesome work.

3. ryan st

ryan st Junior member

we caught 16 between three of us in a day

Attached Files:

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Thats badass,i heard how notoriously crazy those Samson fish fight. To do it on a little calcutta it looks like is great work. Must have been fun. How many jigs did you lose =)?

5. ryan st

ryan st Junior member

peterk814, we didnt actually loose many lures and all the fish lost were due to straightened hooks or dodgy knots :mad:
    the reel i was using was a daiwa luna 253 and my friend had a daiwa 153 which ment sometimes we had to follow... my mate even had backing go out (he only had 10 meters off backing on the reel :eek: )

6. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Very nice, and welcome to 360 !!!!!

7. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

That is awesome! I would love to visit Australia some day to fish you guy's have some serious badass fish done yonder. Those look very much like our Amberjack.

8. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Welcome to 360! Very nice work on the fish. Those look a lot like the Amberjack we have here in the Gulf of mexico, very tough on light tackle, congrats!

9. egluck

egluck Senior Member

Nice pics, looks like a fun time.

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

VERY NICE WORK !

Light gear on Samson is amazing. You guys seriously have an amazing fishery there.

I heard in perth area u have a spot that's one drop one fish! Kinda like our Amberjack fishery in North Carolina. But I heard they fight better than Amberjack! (*haha is that possible?*)

Nice job, and keep the reports coming! Welcome to the site! :D

11. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Great stuff! And welcome to the site. This old yankee doodle is downing a midi in honor of you and the rest of the lads.

Keep the fishing reports coming.

Enoch - ya' gotta' try the fishing off Perth/Fremantle out a few kilometers at "Rotto" (Rottnest Island). Great spot, very beautiful, bring ur dive gear & u'water camera, (also bring ur padi/faui dive card). Crystal clear waters, beautiful reefs and fishies all over the place. Rotto also has (or had) a great pub, and the locals are fantastic and very hospitable...... man,, the stories i could tell after living 10 years down under...

Cheers!

butch

12. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Nice reports. I too would love to fish there. That is my favorite type of fishing, Nothing better than small tin boat fishing. We keep going bigger and bigger but my heart is with little boat and close to beach. I bet if you cast big 10" slug-gos on a jig head and cast jig them you can crush those fish. They definately look like bruiser fish. Keep the reports coming.

13. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Very nice looking forward to more reports!!!!

14. ryan st

ryan st Junior member

cheers guys.... the samson fish are only slightly different to amberjack and they go just as hard :D

enoch, the perth jigging is awesome and if your up to it you can even get two fish on the one drop :D :eek:

15. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

great pics
    that looks like a great way to fish.
    keep the reports and pics coming

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Welcome to the site. Thats awesome. Some serious light gear action.
    I would love to get down to OZ and NZ for some jigging action.

Ty