Light surf spinning reel suggestions?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Cubano, May 19, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I'm looking to buy a spinning reel for a light surf setup, and would like to hear your suggestions on which one of the following four reels you would recommend:

Shimano Saragosa 4000F
    Quantum Cabo PTs 40
    Okuma VSystem V-40A
    Daiwa Team Advantage A 3500A

I have already bought a Shimano Cennan medium-light (6-12 LB) steelhead spinning rod. I will be mainly using 1/2 to 3/4 OZ lures on 10 LB fluorocarbon, for mainly halibut (with the occasional perch and croacker), here in Southern California. If you have any other suggestions other than the four mentioned above, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

If I had to choose out of the reels metioned above, I think I would go with the Cabo 40PTs reel. I have a Boca 40PTs and it's great for anything from stripers/blues to snook/bonefish/tarpon. I but the Cabo model is a little bit smoother (extra bearings).

3. gman

gman Senior Member

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Cabo 40 is a little small, but I have a -50 on my 10' lamiglas Surf King
    loaded w/50# pwr-pro. got 210 yds on it.
    Only reason I say -40 is a little small is line capacity. if that really isnt an
    issue, no reason a -40 can't handle it.
    tight lines
    -Brian

5. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

How does it compare to the new Shimano Saragosa? Since I'll be using this reel for light surf fishing (out here it is rare to run into anything over 10 LBs), I'm mainly concerned with smoothness and durability against saltwater use. I will only be using 10/12 LB fluorocarbon line, so I'm looking more for a smooth drag rather than a super strong one.

Thanks

6. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

How about Saltiga surf?

7. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Too big for my needs. I need something light that I can carry up and down the surf, throwing light lures (1/2 to 3/4 OZ). Plus I'm only using a light 9' steelhead rod (rated for 6-12 LB line). Out here in Southern California you usually run only into smaller halibut (under 10 LBs although on rare occasions you might get a 20 pounder), corbina (under 8 LBs), yellowfin and spotfin croackers (again under 10 LBs) and barred surf perch (under 4 LBs). More rare you might run into a Leopard shark or Guitar fish which can get to about 50 LBs around here. I want to keep my setup on the light side to make it more of a challenge.

Thanks

8. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Any chance I can add a reel to the list? - find a USA-made Penn Slammer in whatever size suits you (they came in 260/360/460/560) and are great reels. Still fairly easy to find second hand and potentially the perfect reel for what you are after. Just be absolutely sure to get the made-in-USA version.

9. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Has anyone used the new Shimano Saragosa? How does it compare with the Quantum Cabo PT? I have also heard really good things about the Okuma V line, so I was wondering if anybody here has had a chance of using one.

Thanks

10. JerseyBrian

I believe STxFisherman has a Saragosa 8000F, but I don't know if he's gotten a chance to try it out. I don't know of any others that have purchased the lower series 'gosas yet. I have a 18000F Saragosa which I haven't tried out, but it seems to be built very well and smooth. However, I am changing out the washers for Carbontex washers for added peace of mind.

I've heard mixed things about the Okuma reels, but I must say that I used a V-30 reel for stripers in the Susky flats in Maryland and had no problem with the drag at all, but the geography of the flats give anglers the advantage since the bigger fish have no structure of deep water to escape to. I wouldn't use them for tuna or any big fish since I've heard they use felt washers.....

Depending how light of a reel you want, either get the 40 series or 60 series Cabo since they have the same chassis as the 30 and 50 series reels respectively, but with the larger spool capacity for each of the 2 sizes. I trust the Cabo/Boca reels for all my inshore duties with no hesitation.

11. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

I am currently using a little Daiwa Emblem with 30# braid--couldn't be happier. Casts great and the line (Suffix) doesn't twist.

I've also used a FinNor Finite for a long time. Came with heavier braid, which I'm still using. It's a helluva reel.

12. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

You mentioned that the Okuma has felt washers. Are those less resistant to saltwater damage or is it that they heat up faster? I've read that the Cabo have ceramic washers.

Thanks

13. JerseyBrian

You mentioned that the Okuma has felt washers. Are those less resistant to saltwater damage or is it that they heat up faster? I've read that the Cabo have ceramic washers.

Thanks

I believe felt washers are inferior in every way compared to ceramic drag washers. They cannot handle saltwater as well, they cannot handle debris as well, etc... Just my opinion though.

14. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Saragosa 4000F !

I try my friend Saragosa 4000F, is light and smooth reel for the price.
    So far I used Van Staal for couple years and really happy with it.

15. canyondiver

canyondiver Guest

How about Saltiga surf?
    Glorified, overpriced Emblem Pro and it's loaded with plastic parts. It has about 200 parts inside IIRC:rolleyes: I wouldn't touch one unless you gave it to me to play with in a bluefish run and said I was not responsible for any breakages.:D

16. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

Thanks

The Spheros FA series has stock greased felt washers. In a brand new reel the drags are fine. After lots of use, the washers would need to be replaced due to wear.

A great example of felt washers in a reel is the Daiwa SLX series reels. Great casting reel (lots of those reels on SoCal boats), but after lots of use, the drags get sticky or loose some top-end stopping power. You can clean out the felt washers with solvent and re-grease with Cal's (would have to redo after a season of regular use) or replace with greased carbontex washers.

17. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I ended up going with the Shimano Saragosa 4000. I guess the washers on it are made of dartainium (not sure how that compares with the ceramic washers in the Quantum Cabo). I like how solid, yet smooth the reel feels, plus the fact that it was designed for saltwater use. Also for a small reel it has a strong drag (22 lb). Thanks for all the suggestions.

18. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Let us know how itworks out. I am looking at the 8000 waiting to hear some reports on it.