360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys, looking for some advice on rod selection for the LI/NJ bluefin fishery. I currently have a couple light set ups (maestro 710 w/ 8k stella) but I’m looking for something a little heavier for the bigger class of fish we get over here. I plan on pairing the rod to a 14k or 18k Stella w/ 80lb hollow. Think I want to go with a RF 710 but I haven’t felt it in person. Maybe this is too heavy. Don’t want to be under gunned nor do I want to take the sport out of it. Any other recommendations from different manufactures or considerations?
Thanks & tight lines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the 81/8 with a 14k and 65lb hollow core and never had a problem...theyre not stiff rods, they are really a stick bait rod but is fine with small poppers...Same with the big tuna 710...these are powerful rods but there not like a broom sticks....the Big tuna is rated for lures 40-160gr the yamaga is rated 45-120....I have the Yamaga, my buddy has the Ripple Fisher, cant go wrong with either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 710 is a very versatile rod, light weight and easy on the back during the fight. Highly recommend! Also the 85 is a good choice as well, same power as the 710 just the extra length.
Want to give me some give me the pros and cons of the 85? I get the casting ability but I feel like I would rather fight on the 76 becuase I’ll have better leverage but maybe I’m looking at the picture the wrong way. I’m a shorter guy so the long rod may actually be better. Help clear the outboards etc. love to hear the other opinions

·
Registered
56 Posts
Iam a shorter guy to....5'6 on a good day...I prefer the shorter rods.....when the rods are bent they bend to almost the same point so getting over the outboards shouldnt really be a concern...plus you should fight the fish from the bow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iam a shorter guy to....5'6 on a good day...I prefer the shorter rods.....when the rods are bent they bend to almost the same point so getting over the outboards shouldnt really be a concern...plus you should fight the fish from the bow.
5’5 over here so I get it. I fish from an express so I don’t have the ability to fish from the bow. Which is another reason I have to keep rod length in mind. Think the 710 might be the one I go with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts