360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am right handed but prefer to reel with my left hand when using conventional just like using spinning reel. What conventional reel ( Left Hand) choices would you recommend for jigging that can handle grouper or tuna if I'm lucky to hook them up? I would like to stay under 25 ounces if possible. Your inputs/suggestions will be greatly appreciated and will help me start right in this type of fishing. Thank you!

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Avet LX 6/3 comes in left-handed, and it's 24 oz. That's the first place I would look. Welcome to Avet Reels. Home of the 100+ drag reel!.

Thanks. I would look into it. Gentlemen, anybody tried using these avet reels?

"Daiwa saltiga 30L is a solid reel"

Thanks. Is this a left hand model? I can't tell by looking aT the picture.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Daiwa saltiga 30L is a solid reel"

Thanks. Is this a left hand model? I can't tell by looking aT the picture.[/QUOTE]

Just went to Daiwa's website and it's indeed a left hand model. Thanks.

G

·
yeah, its lefty..........nothing wrong with the avet but the saltiga is really a tank and for fish under 150lbs + you dont need low gear. plus the 6:1 is too high for jigging IMO. you end up losing torque.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, its lefty..........nothing wrong with the avet but the saltiga is really a tank and for fish under 150lbs + you dont need low gear. plus the 6:1 is too high for jigging IMO. you end up losing torque.

Thanks again. It looks like the weight is just over 16 oz Which means I can also use it in the jetty:)

G

·
saltigas cast very well too. ive got a trinidad 40 and ocea 4000p but to be honest would probably rather have a saltiga 40 for most tuna over the TN 40. i like the 3/0 size. the reels i have are upgraded a bit so theyre awesome but ive had some nice luck with saltigas

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saltigas cast very well too. ive got a trinidad 40 and ocea 4000p but to be honest would probably rather have a saltiga 40 for most tuna over the TN 40. i like the 3/0 size. the reels i have are upgraded a bit so theyre awesome but ive had some nice luck with saltigas

Do you think the saltiga 30L will be able to handle up to 150 lbs fish?

·
620 Posts
Alutecnos Gorilla 12C comes in lefty.... tough to beat in terms of a quality high performance piece of machinery....

·
110 Posts
Iyaman,

I cannot speak for the Saltiga first hand, but I am a fan of Avets. The only issue that I have found is that at higher drag settings they have some side loading causing some added resistance when cranking. This being said I don't think it's enough for me to mind it too much, but I would definitely turn on one and decide for yourself. Other than that I have found Avets to be very solid/simple reels that are easy to maintain, and I feel are well worth the money. Jrzrider83 landed a #120 class BFT on jig with a MXL, and although it was a battle the reel held up very well. One other question you may want to ask yourself is if you want a lever or star drag.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Accurate BX2 models have lefty as well as JM PE4/5 reels.

Grandpa 21,
Avets are decent reels, but they got to solve the binding problems on high drags to compete with other quality small lever drag reels.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gentlemen, I really appreciate your help. Well, it looks like the three choices I have here are: Saltiga 30L, Accurate BX2, and Alutecnos Gorilla 12C. Anybody tried jigging these 3 reels?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Gentlemen, I really appreciate your help. Well, it looks like the three choices I have here are: Saltiga 30L, Accurate BX2, and Alutecnos Gorilla 12C. Anybody tried jigging these 3 reels?
Saltiga30L is small reel with 16 - 17 lbs max drag. There are some nice star drag reels, but I recommend lever drag reels if you target big 150 plus lbs tuna.
My choice is BX2 500, 600 or 600N if I have to choose one of them, but some love Alutecnos 12/12C.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saltiga30L is small reel with 16 - 17 lbs max drag. There are some nice star drag reels, but I recommend lever drag reels if you target big 150 plus lbs tuna.
My choice is BX2 500, 600 or 600N if I have to choose one of them, but some love Alutecnos 12/12C.

Ksong,

If we include the JM PE 5 reel, would you choose it over the above mentioned reels? How much is the PE5 lefty reel and how long will it take from order to delivery? Thanks.

James

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Ksong,

If we include the JM PE 5 reel, would you choose it over the above mentioned reels? How much is the PE5 lefty reel and how long will it take from order to delivery? Thanks.

James
I can say yes. I am associated with JM reels as a dealer, but I am a dealer of Torsa, Accurate and Saltiga too.
I have several Torsa in stock, but I couldn't sell them because I didn't recommend them. :)

JM PE5 is designed exclusively for jigging by jig fishermen. JM PE5 will be my main jigging reel as I like the size as well as the performance. I feel I can land any tuna under 200 lbs with the reel.

I ordered a few lefty, but I didn't get them. They are hot reels in Southeast Asia and NZ, and the next delivery is in Nov.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can say yes. I am associated with JM reels as a dealer, but I am a dealer of Torsa, Accurate and Saltiga too.
I have several Torsa in stock, but I couldn't sell them because I didn't recommend them. :)

JM PE5 is designed exclusively for jigging by jig fishermen. JM PE5 will be my main jigging reel as I like the size as well as the performance. I feel I can land any tuna under 200 lbs with the reel.

I ordered a few lefty, but I didn't get them. They are hot reels in Southeast Asia and NZ, and the next delivery is in Nov.

That's 2 months of sleepless nights! ;) I'll decide on what color I like and I'll PM you. Thanks for all the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts