lease work weekend

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, its past that time again... Heading to the lease and fill feeders, mow, trim branches and brush etc.. Anyone else been to their places lately? We are on a new lease near Eastland (WSW of DFW) this year and looking forward to seeing what we have out there.. I doubt there are any monster deer, but the place does have 5 stock tanks that are supposed to have bass and crappie in them. So if the hunting sucks we can still fish.. We got on this place so we could have a family oriented lease. Looking forward to teaching my daughter more about the outdoors.. As dry as its been here in TX I doubt many of the deer will have big racks.. Hopeully the game cam will get us some good pics..
    I have been seeing a ton of dove around here, since the last couple of fronts have passed through, hopefully we will have some good dove hunting this season.. If yall do get out, be safe and watch for snakes, they are bad this year..

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

It's drier than a bone in South Texas. Everybody is selling all their cattle before they die. 40 days over a hundred degrees already this year. Old record was 37 days. No rain and hotter than hell. Not good. I understand from some friends that raise deer for sale that the fawn crop is having trouble. High death rate this year. Horn growth is small this year.

Since I'm on the hunting board, take a look at this video. I need to buy an eagle for hunting. Could you imagine if you trained one to catch free jumping tuna. No need for tackle.

YouTube - hunting wolves with a golden eagle in Mongolia. Kazajstán-Ky

3. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I got on a new place this year too. Its just north of Ozona. I'm excited because I'm finally on a place that isnt over crowded. We have 12,800 acres between 14 bow hunters. Last weekend I finished building feed pens and putting up feeders. Now I just need to set up my stands and I'll be set. I'm hoping for some good size deer. As long as the guys before us didn't shoot it up we should see some decent deer. In the last 2 months we've gotten about 10 inches of rain. Everything is green on our place.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Wow! I'm surprised the wolves don't rip the eagle's legs off during the tussle :eek:

5. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Wow, thats amazing how those eagles can take on wolves, I guess the lb/square inch of talon compressing on the neck and their pin point accuracy helps them kill faster than a wolf. But I didn't like the 2 eagles vs 1 wolf, thought that was unfair advantage, wanted to see if the wolf had a chance to win that battle. If you wanna fish with these eagles I'm sure thats very possible, maybe even train them to spot tuna :p , I'm sure fisherman would pay for that talent.

It's drier than a bone in South Texas. Everybody is selling all their cattle before they die. 40 days over a hundred degrees already this year. Old record was 37 days. No rain and hotter than hell. Not good. I understand from some friends that raise deer for sale that the fawn crop is having trouble. High death rate this year. Horn growth is small this year.

Since I'm on the hunting board, take a look at this video. I need to buy an eagle for hunting. Could you imagine if you trained one to catch free jumping tuna. No need for tackle.

YouTube - hunting wolves with a golden eagle in Mongolia. Kazajstán-Ky

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I got on a new place this year too. Its just north of Ozona. I'm excited because I'm finally on a place that isnt over crowded. We have 12,800 acres between 14 bow hunters. Last weekend I finished building feed pens and putting up feeders. Now I just need to set up my stands and I'll be set. I'm hoping for some good size deer. As long as the guys before us didn't shoot it up we should see some decent deer. In the last 2 months we've gotten about 10 inches of rain. Everything is green on our place.

The trans pecos region has more of a monsoon season and can be really nice.

Hopefully Eastland got enough rain when it counted the most and you guys have a great season. Maybe a really nice buck surprises you.

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I hope you are right.. Brandon..
    That eagle video is something else. my buddy needs one of those eagles on his place near canyon lake.. Damn coyotes have killed half of his blackbuck herd..

AggieJosh, good luck on your place.. That sure is some pretty country out there..

8. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

I'm not going out to my lease until mid September; far too hot. Although I wish we had received rain during the spring when the fawns are born and antler growth is at its peak, I'll take it when we can get it. Our lease is SE of Haskell, and I think July had OK rain. One thing that's certain, though, is that there will be a great crop of pigs!

9. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Me and my old man ran out to our place by St. Joe last weekend, and damn is it grown up and all of the feeders are fried. We've got a lot of work to get done over the next couple weeks !!!!

Bret, we've got some property by Gainesville that we could all dove hunt if your interested.

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Me and my old man ran out to our place by St. Joe last weekend, and damn is it grown up and all of the feeders are fried. We've got a lot of work to get done over the next couple weeks !!!!

Bret, we've got some property by Gainesville that we could all dove hunt if your interested.

Man, that sounds great.. let me know..Thats not but about 45 mins from me.. We will do some dove scouting this weekend and see whats flying out there..

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, back from the new lease.. got the 12-1300 sq ft of tile scraped off (with shovels) the concrete slab and got the camp set up, also got the feeder pens built and feeders going.. We saw a few deer, no horns, but it was only 99 degrees in the shade. Did see a bunch of dove.. so maybe we will have a decent dove season. I think next time I will bring the tractor with the loader to remove tile from a foundation.. ( what a butt whooping). Its pretty green out there in Eastland county, but they, like the rest of TX is in need of some rain.

12. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Hey Bret, so did you let the place in Archer go?

We've actually had alot of rain (more so than last year) in Young County. My tank is full. Lots and lots of undergrowth - infact we are having to kill some of it off to clear the roads. I haven't started my regular trips yet, probably will do so this weekend. Need to get the feeders going and do some repair on a blind that fell over in the spring.

I'm getting stoked and excited. I wasn't a big fan of AR rules before, but I'm thinking it will actually help me since now I can take a spike and still be able to take a nice buck instead of having to decide between the two.

These are some we left last year, I'm hoping to see them on the cameras again and more importantly through our scopes!

I'm especially hoping the big, old drop tine made it another year. We did not see him until after we tagged out. Hopefully if he is still around he will still have the drop tine.

Earl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Earl, that place in ARcher belongs to my buddy Bob.. I needed a place with a few more amenities (read kid and wife friendly). I will still hunt up there a bit.. we have a pretty cool campsite at out place near eastland.. You have done well on your place out there.. I hope you have a good year out there..

14. Earl

Earl Senior Member

You too Brett! Eastland is a great county to hunt in. I work with someone that took a hoss from there last year.

Take care,
    Earl

15. dfwroadkill

dfwroadkill Junior member

I work my lease year around. Feed corn most of the year, then mix of corn and protein November through first of March. Got plenty of water.. Deer are looking good this year..

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I work my lease year around. Feed corn most of the year, then mix of corn and protein November through first of March. Got plenty of water.. Deer are looking good this year..

You should be giving them more protein during the spring and summer when the lactating does and bucks need it the most. I have seen a dramatic increase in body weights and antler size feeding it then.

d-a