learned something new - casting

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Grey Crane, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

Some of you guys may have already figured this out, but I just discovered it this weekend. I couldn't find a post about it, so thought I would put it up.

I'm not a fan of spinning reels, so my topwaters are thrown on conventional reels - Shimano Toriums to be specific. I know there have been some bad reports on them, but until mine fail, I'm not going to give in to my tackle whore nature and buy new equipment.

Here's what I discovered this weekend. When casting, I normally just thumb the spool, load the reel and let it fly. Due to the weight of offshore poppers, I was limited to a degree on the power I could put in to loading the rod while casting. Just by chance, I tried putting my other thumb on the line at the portion of the grip above the reel. Having 2 points of pressure really made it easier for me to cast at full power. I've tried gloves and don't feel the outgoing cast as well. This method kept my bare fingers in good shape while casting 50 pound mono.

2. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Thanks for posting Grey!

I'm going to be doing some casting with the Accurate 2-speeds that have the cast control knob and compare my distance to a Stella/Spinner.

Hopefully that cast control will enable me to throw full power with out really using much thumb pressure.

I know I've got my inshore conventional set so that I don't use my thumb at all.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I might be missing something - but how did you cast well using 2 thumbs?

4. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

When casting, I have one hand on the lower part of the handle with a thumb on the spool. The other hand is holding the upper part of the grip for leverage. Your thumb is already over the upper portion of the grip. Since the force is created on the back swing, you don't really need the thumb as a pressure point on the upper grip, so using it to put a little extra pressure on the line works fine.

5. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

When casting, I have one hand on the lower part of the handle with a thumb on the spool. The other hand is holding the upper part of the grip for leverage. Your thumb is already over the upper portion of the grip. Since the force is created on the back swing, you don't really need the thumb as a pressure point on the upper grip, so using it to put a little extra pressure on the line works fine.

Somethings sounds weird with this still and I've done alot of long distance casting using various styles (surfcasting) and I have no idea to how you are getting your leverage to really cast with both hands up up by the reel. Maybe I'm jsut not understanding....

6. papio

papio Senior Member

Huh??? What?? How?? Splain again please??...can't go wrong with spinners

7. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

spinners for me, now and always! not one single backlash in 48 hours of fishing >> :)

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Tom: I keep hearing from folks that they can cast as well (or even better) with conventional gear. However, I can not and will not believe it--even if I saw it with my own eyes. :) I have been trying to cast a conventional reel ever since I was a child, and when, in 1957, I found out there was such a thing as a Mitchell 300 and I could buy it for about 5 bucks, I jumped at the chance. Same with the Stellas.

No joke--if I had to cast lead weight 50 feet with no wind, I would pick up a spinner. If you happen to cast well in your trials, it is only an optical illusion--or a dream.

Russ

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it seems like trying to swing a baseball bat with your hands 12 inches apart. Sure I can do it, but I'm not going to hit any home runs that way.

Maybe if you took a few pictures we'd all get it.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Don't you lose casting distance by using two thumbs ?

I am pretty good at using conventional reels for casting as I have been casting with conventional reels on the boat and at jetties for long.
    I experimented casting poppers with long conventional rods and reels last year and caught a few yft and bft, but I gave up conventional reels for casting poppers as spinning reels are much easier for the job and it is inevitalbe you get tangles from time to time, especially at night, no matter how skillful you are.

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

spinners for me, now and always! not one single backlash in 48 hours of fishing >> :)
    HAHA and you were casting farther than anyone on the boat by far.

I had a few backlashes but I was still hitting farther than a lot of the others using spinners. I think I will get better with more practice. The weight of the lure/popper seems to matter much more with conventional gear than with spinners.
    I will have both, but once the fish is on I think I like the conventional a lot better. The low gear on the JX was perfect for reeling the tuna in with ease...

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Don't you lose casting distance by using two thumbs?

I couldn't imagine using two thumbs. I can't even buy a 665 Narrow because my thumb won't even fit inside the spool. :eek:

I don't have a preference. Conventional reels can be cast very far and with better accuracy. Those long distance surf casting tournament guys love conventionals.

I am open to using both types. If the wind is blowing, I'll go to a spinner.
    To each has own.:)

13. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

This might be working for me because the rods I am using are probably a little stiffer than they should be. I'm no expert distance caster, but this did seem to improve my control.

Maybe it's me that's doing something wrong, but when I cast with my left hand thumbing the reel and my right hand below for leverage, it wears on my thumb. When I tried gloves, I had more backlashes. When I tried moving my right hand above the reel and holding the line there as well, it solved the problem of wearing on my reel thumb.

14. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I agree with yer Mr.Bill. It is true that a conventional can cast further on the long distance casting circuit but they are not casting into wind either.For overall simplicity spinning is the way I prefer. Asfor the power to haul in fish I have never had to go to the back of the boat to get to land a tuna yet. With todays spinning reels (shimono,saltigua,and the twinspin accurate)you can bring in some pretty hefty fish. Like you said its a matter of personal choice.

15. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

As odd as this may look, it was helping me load the rod with a Bull GT.

[​IMG]

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have been thinking and maybe one reason I do not cast well is that I have been casting with two thumbs all along--but one of them was up my...but you get the picture (and it ain't pretty.) :)

Russ

17. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

man, it was hard to edumacate one thumb ..now i need to send the other back to school? with heavier lures, my arc throwing with on convetional reels are better than my over the shoulder casts, the hand positions does allow better control but i still often get the professional overcast problems.

18. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

have you ever tried that with braid? if you have done it with bare thumbs then you are one brave fellow, that top thumb would get cut right to the bone!

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Who can cast farther with conventional reels ? If you do, you are really skillful or you suck with spinning reels. :)

20. ember

ember Guest

Off the beach with three steps and an 11 foot rod I can toss a conventional pretty good.Rolling around in my small center console,its all in the wrists with a spinner.