360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Leaders for cow tuna with popper?

7K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  Bellyups 
#1 ·
The target is 200 plus pound YFT. I think I will have a beefy enough rod, but I am looking for input on the leader. I will use 80-100 pound braid for the mainline, stella 20000 FA, and I am thinking a 90 or 130 pound windon. Is that strong enough leader? Also, I can cast farther if the leader is short--say 3-4 feet (in such a case, no knots will pass through the guides). Do I need a long mono/flouro leader as a shock leader and to prevent the fish from cutting braid?

Thanks, Scott

#2 ·
Scott,

IMO you need a full 14-16ft leader (enough for 2-3 wraps on the spool) and a minimum of 130lb test. I've seen so many large tuna that get tail wrapped that I'd be very nervous about not having a leader that's longer than the max length expected for the fish.

I've had too many leaders on 100-130lb tuna come back frayed along the whole length of the fish, even if they were never tail wrapped.

#6 ·
Thanks guys! I have been using loop to loop 130 pound windons with about 15 feet of leader (Sea Crappie, I learned this from you on the big E). I will stick with it.

Nate, we will have our chances with 2 speeds and traditional tuna roller rods. Like Bret said, it is a seperate challenge and for me (and I am sure for you too), I love the cast:) , strike:) , hook up:) , first run:) , and challenge of popper fishing. Much of that experience is loss with a fish caught on the troll.

#7 ·
I agree about the windon leader. No spinner for me on big fish, I want a 2 speed and the rail. I'm too old for that macho stuff! I've caught lots of tuna on spinners but I won't be using one if there are big fish around. If I hook a big one on a spinner I do have a harness ready but I'll still get my axx kicked and will probably loss it. I won't hand it off though!

#8 ·
Varivas shock leader 130 minimum more like 150. Or fishermens stealth leader in the 150 range. atleast 10-12 feet enough to wrap spool several times and leave about 3' outside the rod.

Keep in mind these guys in Panama use much heavier when slow trolling skipjacks. The fish wont ever see your leader with a popper

#10 ·
wind ons on a spinner are a taboo for me I dont use them. negatively affects your casting because of heavy connection IMHO

Agreed 100%, for spinners a midknot or p-r knot is only connection I use.

#13 ·
wind ons on a spinner are a taboo for me I dont use them. negatively affects your casting because of heavy connection IMHO

Glen, for me, I always have knots catching the guides. What size guides and tips are on your rods? My rods taper to 12s.

#15 ·
This is going to sound really stupid but I am a gear geek, I have no clue what size the guides are LMAO

LOL.

I will build the rod and then play around casting the Page Ranking, midknot, and windons and go with what works best. I may make my own windons, as JB hollow is very limp and thin walled, which should help casting a windon. I would also know exactly how strong my connections are.

This may sound crazy, but I wonder if you used some form of wax or lubricate on a windon/leader, it may cast significantly further.

#16 ·
Scott,

Forget using floro, it's much too stiff at 130 # .

I used 170 varivas and found little distance sacrifice. In panama distance is not as critical as night casting in the Gulf. The fishermans stealth gman suggest is also one of the super soft Japanese leaders that is easy to tie. Good luck on finding them though as A.P.S. is sold out of both.

#17 ·
Glen, for me, I always have knots catching the guides. What size guides and tips are on your rods? My rods taper to 12s.

Scott,

For all my heavy stuff it's a 40mm stripper guide down to a 16mm tip top. Also, when you say the knot hangs up, do you mean a midknot?

#19 ·
Scott,

For all my heavy stuff it's a 40mm stripper guide down to a 16mm tip top. Also, when you say the knot hangs up, do you mean a midknot?

Thanks John. Your top is a 16, so I guess your smallest guides are 16s too?

Ksong tied a midknot or PR knot for me and it was a 2 inch stiff knot that eventually worked its end loose. I lost confidence in it and changed over to my windons. I thought the stiff 2 inches of the know was worse than a windon, but maybe I am wrong.

#22 ·
I've never and repeat, never had a GOM tuna break me off with Berkley Big Game 50# for a leader on a spinning outfit. I normally fish with at least 25#s of drag. For cow tossing, I'd use 100# or maybe 130# Big Game mono. Add 40% to their rating for a true breaking strength. I only use a uni to uni connections between the braid and big game mono. Never failed me once.

I start off with about 15'. Feel the line after each fish or every half hour. If frayed, cut off bad section or replace. Big Game line is softer than the "high-test" or momoi diamond, therefore it makes a great knot and is more of a shock absorber than the harder lines.

#23 ·
I love Big Game and the price is right. I also have a lot of faith in my uni to uni, but I am not sure how well that would work with spectra to mono thicker than 80 pound.

#24 ·
sounds a little funky to me LMAO, I wouldnt want anyone walking in on me while Im applying KY on my leader ROTFLMAO

LOL!! But Glen, I thought you would do anything to catch big fish:) !

#25 ·
Has anyone used the Sato Crimp system or heard real reports of how reliable the system is?

Sato Crimp and Winder - Unique Products For the Serious Angler - Pro Crimp Kit

For connecting mono or leader to Spectra we generally recommend a 30-40 turn Bimini and 30-40 wind Albright. However, some folks prefer a less bulky transition, especially for use with heavier mono above 100#'s. In this case there are two ways to go. Izorline makes a great loop to loop leader which we are now stocking in both Fluorocarbon and mono. An alternative approach is the Sato Crimp System. They have improved the design of their crimps for 2005, now we can recommend their use.

Sato Crimping Systeo The Sato system uses a crimp, hollow sleeve and specialized adhesive to create smooth transitions between your Spectra backing and leader material (mono or fluorocarbon makes no difference).

The previous version of the crimping system had problems with the crimps used. Spectra cuts easily if it even gets near a sharp object when taut. The new crimps are much better, will have less issues with failure or cracking and they don't have the sharp ends to cause future problems. At this point I'd say the system is proven and worth use. Frankly I like this system much more than simply "serving" one end and trying the Chinese finger trap method. On our 2005 Red Rooster III 10 day trip (with 300# fish taken...and 100 over 200# yellowfin tuna) I saw six served connections fail with a fish on the other end of the hook. I never saw a bimini/albright failure or a Sato failure.

The Sato spectra to mono/fluorocarbon leader connection system is hands-down the slickest way to connect your mono to spectra. For most applications a bimini to albright will get the job done reliable if properly tied. But, especially for the heavier tests, the smooth connection possible using the crimp system is a vast improvement over any other method. It's also a preferred means of connection when you're running a short top-shot since there's less issue with casting, since the crimp is much smaller than a knot as it moves across a rod guide. Gary Sato came up with the system a very few years ago, refined it, and it's now the best connection, most reliable connection available.

#26 ·
This is going to sound really stupid but I am a gear geek, I have no clue what size the guides are LMAO

There probably a 16, most of my factory built popping rods have 16's on them.

d-a

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.