leaders for casting to BFT?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by r.mccabe203, Nov 6, 2008.

1. r.mccabe203

r.mccabe203 Junior member

hello all
    This is my first post and I fish in New England. On our last trip out to P-town we had great surface action for a few hours and hooked up with a few fish but what Im getting at is the leader set up I have been using that seems to keep failing on me. I use 50lb PP for main line to 6-8ft of 60-80lb flouro via a slim beauty knot. We've had the knot hold on 200+lb blue sharks but weren't casting it through the guides. I inspected the knot after a few casts and it looked compromised. If anyone has had success with another leader set up particularly one that casts through the guides I'd like to hear about it. thanks

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

little longer leader, P.R. or midknot is the standard.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

hello all
    This is my first post and I fish in New England. On our last trip out to P-town we had great surface action for a few hours and hooked up with a few fish but what Im getting at is the leader set up I have been using that seems to keep failing on me. I use 50lb PP for main line to 6-8ft of 60-80lb flouro via a slim beauty knot. We've had the knot hold on 200+lb blue sharks but weren't casting it through the guides. I inspected the knot after a few casts and it looked compromised. If anyone has had success with another leader set up particularly one that casts through the guides I'd like to hear about it. thanks
    Try to use Mid Knot or PR Knot which most serious jigging/popping fishermen use throughout the world.
    Or use a barrel swivel with short leader line.

5. r.mccabe203

Check out my thread here for connections regarding poppers and leader
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/knot-popper-3576/
    How big are the BFT you are chasing?
    hi rtran the fish this year are running around 60" give or take thats why most of us use a leader of at least 6ft. If the tail gets into the braid its game over. the knot ends up running through most of the guides on the cast. It doesnt seem good for the knot. I'll check it out

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

FYI - my avatar is a bluefin caught last month. we went out of green harbor the knot for leader to braid was a midknot. the fish is 58"

7. r.mccabe203

FYI - my avatar is a bluefin caught last month. we went out of green harbor the knot for leader to braid was a midknot. the fish is 58"
    Nice bret
    That knot looks tough to ty What were you using for line and leader

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it was Kil's rod and reel but I believe it was OTI 80lb line and Jigging Master 80lb Fluorocarbon leader.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

hi rtran the fish this year are running around 60" give or take thats why most of us use a leader of at least 6ft. If the tail gets into the braid its game over. the knot ends up running through most of the guides on the cast. It doesnt seem good for the knot. I'll check it out
    How many times did you actually lose tuna because of the tail got into the braid ? It could happen, but the chances are not many. I don't recommend to use 50 lbs braided line for 100 plus lbs bft. I use 80 lbs braided line for them.

10. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

hello all

There are many good posts already. But let me try and add a couple ideas. I fish out of Truro for SBFT. I'm using 50# braid/50# fluoro. After I switched to a doubled end to the braid (70+ turn Bimini), I haven't had a braid to leader failure. I don't use a slim beauty but one like it (SIG). The slim beauty should be fine and I don't disagree with everyone who suggested the mid knot.

I have switched to 18' leaders, run 14 pounds of drag. Two reasons, the braid has no stretch or shock absorption, also I want the leader longer than the fish.

I switched from coastlock snap to direct tie but just recently started tying a solid ring to the leader and attaching a split ring to that. It is stronger than the coastlock and more flexible than direct tie.

Yesterday we landed a 58" fish in 40 minutes. Last week brought two mid-fifties fish to the boat. No braid, leader or knot failures.

If you're thinking of changing your line (I am), I recommend you consider 60# Jerry Brown hollow core and a wind on leader connected loop to loop. I got a sample and tested it extensively. With a spliced end loop in the JB, I lifted 65 pounds of dead weight and it didn't break until I went to 70 pounds. Same for the loop to loop connection. It goes through the guides like a dream.

Hope this helps. There are still a lot of tuna out there if you get the right weather. Good luck!

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

If you're thinking of changing your line (I am), I recommend you consider 60# Jerry Brown hollow core and a wind on leader connected loop to loop. I got a sample and tested it extensively. With a spliced end loop in the JB, I lifted 65 pounds of dead weight and it didn't break until I went to 70 pounds.

You lifted more lb's than what the line is rated for? Sick. You must be a pretty beefed up guy to life 65# weight.

12. pametfisher

You lifted more lb's than what the line is rated for? Sick. You must be a pretty beefed up guy to life 65# weight.

I only have to lift it 1" ;)

Seriously, most line overtests. The key is getting a loop or knot that won't break at 50%. The Bimini with enough twists is good but I'm very impressed with the hollow core end-splice.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

14lbs drag? why not more? i never use less than 20 for these fish, and prefer 24

14. pametfisher

14lbs drag? why not more? i never use less than 20 for these fish, and prefer 24

I've got a Penn 950 SSM with 50# braid. I could go to 18# or so, I guess. A guy showed me how to palm the reel when I want more drag near the end of the fight.

What reel and braid strength do you have?

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Why not just set it and forget it? You could accidently palm too much and cause the line to break.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I've got a Penn 950 SSM with 50# braid. I could go to 18# or so, I guess. A guy showed me how to palm the reel when I want more drag near the end of the fight.

What reel and braid strength do you have?

either stella 8000 or 10000 (FA models). On the 8000 I have Varivas 10x10 PE6 and on the 10000 I have 80lb Jerry Brown solid.

but yeah with 50lb you're limited at about 18lbs.

with the 950 ssm, you'll need upgrades to run 22-24lbs of drag smoothly for longer runs. 18-20lbs is the max on the stock reel.

honestly as long as you're landing the fish thats all that matters, i just prefer higher drags bc i like bringing them in quick.

17. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

My braided line to leader set up for tuna are as follow ;

PE4~5 line to 80~100 lbs. mono leader + 12" heavy fluorocarbon " bite " leader crimped on both ends , upon casting the FC leader stays outside the tip top guide , thinner mono leader enhances casting distance and slim knot is a must .

Jon .

18. CapeTownBlitz

CapeTownBlitz Junior member

Hey guys,

I am also new to the board and also fish in New England. I am friends with r.mccabe203 and in the last two bluefin tuna trips we lost 2-3 fish within 5 minutes of the fight due to line breaking. Like he said, the knot for the braid to fluoro gets caught up in the guides and compromises the line. Even if we were using 65-80lb power pro braid it wouldn't of mattered because it was getting roughed up going through the guides.

Any more suggestions? Or maybe some pictures of how you guys are rigged up?

thanks

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You guys should up the test on the braid and use mid knot or pr knot.

20. CapeTownBlitz

CapeTownBlitz Junior member

You guys should up the test on the braid and use mid knot or Page Ranking knot.

Thanks rtran,

That sounds like a plan, I will definitely be using those knots and see how they work through the guides. I will also be purchasing some 80lb fluoro and some 80lb powerpro braid and try to put a hurtin' on these fish from now on. No more snapped lines.