Leader set up for braid.

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Gozz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

How's it going guys.
    I've got a 1800 saragosa with a shimano t-curve 37kg jig stick which I will use for trawling for tuna and jigging for kingfish.
    I'd love some help with which configuration I need to set the leader up with.
    Will I need a shock leader,which knot do I use to join line , leader etc.
    I haven't bought the braid yet so I'd love some advise on which one also,I was thinking about 60 to 80pnd's.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i would use 80 lb braid. get a good quality braid such as izor, varivas, daiwa boat, tuf line xp, jerry brown. for leaders try learning a Page Ranking knot or mid knot. an easy and reliable knot is an 17-20 turn albright connected to a double line. a double line can be achieved with a bimini(hard) or a 5 turn surgeons(easy). good luck

3. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thanks for your advice Kidflex.
    So I don't need any top shot or shock leader due to the braid having almost 0% stretch.

At the moment I use the all bright and bimini twis so thats good to know.

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Leader yes, long (~100yd) topshot no. I use ~6-9' leader joined with PR knot. Some use longer up to 25'. I guess longer might help soften the blow a little more on the troll without losing benefit of braid, and also allow more re-ties.

Also, all braids Brian mentioned are great. The color-coded ones sure help getting to marked fish mid-water!

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Gozz: I like Jerry Brown solid or Tuf-Line XP in 65# or 80#. I double the braid with a spider hitch and then attach the leader with a Albright with a 3 turn uni lock. I use 6' to 8 ' of leader either *80 mono or fluoro. If you are targeting toothy critters I suggest a 6" to 12" tyger wire trace and then tie your leader to that with a swivel.

PowerPro - Catch The Power!

Knots - How to tie the Spider Hitch

6. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thanks guys.
    The Page Ranking knot looks a little hard so I reckon I'll stick with the bimini twist and albright knot which I've had really good success with.
    I just thought I'd ask you fellers if there was something different out there I could try.
    As for a long leader I'll see how much room I have left on my spool as to how long I have the leader.
    With the braid I was thinking 65# tuff line or 70# daiwa line.
    Which is better you think.
    Thanks again.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

id go heavier on the daiwa boat. that is some thin line. i believe the 80lb boat braid is equivalent to 65 braid from other manufacturers in thickness.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks guys.
    The Page Ranking knot looks a little hard so I reckon I'll stick with the bimini twist and albright knot which I've had really good success with.
    I just thought I'd ask you fellers if there was something different out there I could try.
    As for a long leader I'll see how much room I have left on my spool as to how long I have the leader.
    With the braid I was thinking 65# tuff line or 70# daiwa line.
    Which is better you think.
    Thanks again.

Definitely go with the daiwa line, it's very smooth and soft. The color also keeps fairly well. I would use the 100lb daiwa boat braid for your reel.

9. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

You guys don't muck around with your braid.
    Not many people here in Australia use 100pnd braid,actually there just getting into the 80pnd braid now.
    I reckon the 80 daiwa braid sound's good.

Where just getting a run of blue fin tuna at the moment averaging 60 to 80pnd's.
    Some fish have been 160pnd plus,only seen jumping at feeding time none have been caught that size yet.
    two years ago there where fish in the same area caught weighing 120kg which is about 240pnd.
    Some serious fish out there.

10. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

id go heavier on the daiwa boat. that is some thin line. i believe the 80lb boat braid is equivalent to 65 braid from other manufacturers in thickness.

I agree, as I mentioned earlier the Daiwa tests very near its rated strength. I'd be using Biminis, Mids and P.Rs or going up to 80 or higher if using unis, surgeons, Albrights, etc.