Leader material...

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SpecialK, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have used both flourocarbon and mono enough for popping at this point to think there is not a difference in amount of strikes, at least for me.
    Since mono is obiously cheaper...
    My question is which shock leader material is the softest and easiest to tie?
    I have had an occasional problem when I open the bail that flouro tends to jumps off because of how stiff it is. I am thinking that a softer line will lay on the spool better.
    Thoughts?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have used both flourocarbon and mono enough for popping at this point to think there is not a difference in amount of strikes, at least for me.
    Since mono is obiously cheaper...
    My question is which shock leader material is the softest and easiest to tie?
    I have had an occasional problem when I open the bail that flouro tends to jumps off because of how stiff it is. I am thinking that a softer line will lay on the spool better.
    Thoughts?

Angler's Pro Shop

Never had the leader jump off the spool with Varivas

d-a

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Cool thanks... I think i'll givethe 80# a go. Heading out on the Scat Cat on the 27th and wanted to try something new.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

varivas is the best IMHO

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think if i blindfolded you and put varivas on and told you it was fisherman brand, you wouldnt know. vice versa as well. my point is either way youll be pleased. sometimes they only have one of the brands in stock.....thats normally how i choose.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

The only comparison I have right now is comparing cheap 150# mono to berkley big game leader. The big game is softer than the mono but I really don't want to use 150# for popping tuna in the GOM.
    I am going to try the varivas as soon as APS sends me my login info...

7. gman

gman Senior Member

i think if i blindfolded you and put varivas on and told you it was fisherman brand, you wouldnt know. vice versa as well. my point is either way youll be pleased. sometimes they only have one of the brands in stock.....thats normally how i choose.

There is a difference.

Varivas is softer and more plyable and darker in color

Fishermans stealth leader is thinner but a tiny bit stiffer and clear/blue/lighter in appreance

I know them well as they are the only two leaders I know. blindfold me and give me two seperate pieces in my hands and i could tell

8. gman

gman Senior Member

fishermans is more like a fluro carbon

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I've used 80# and 100# mono for leader for casting. After a few casts the line softens up it seems and you don't get the line jumping off.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Don't leave out JINKAI for leader material. It's soft and cast very good. Tackle Direct carries the JINKAI Leader Coils in 100 yard spools. I ordered a few coils a couple of days ago. It's only about 12 bucks a coil depending on the test. 100 yards will last a long time if you are only putting on about 12' each application.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

There is a difference.

Varivas is softer and more plyable and darker in color

Fishermans stealth leader is thinner but a tiny bit stiffer and clear/blue/lighter in appreance

I know them well as they are the only two leaders I know. blindfold me and give me two seperate pieces in my hands and i could tell

you may be right. ive only used varivas once compared to 7 or 8 times with varivas. i didnt compare them side by side, just noticed that they felt similar. both easy enough to tie up to the 130lb that i've used.

12. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Don't leave out JINKAI for leader material. It's soft and cast very good. Tackle Direct carries the JINKAI Leader Coils in 100 yard spools. I ordered a few coils a couple of days ago. It's only about 12 bucks a coil depending on the test. 100 yards will last a long time if you are only putting on about 12' each application.
    No kidding. I haven't been able to get through the APS sign up process so I may go ahead and order some Jinkai to try out. Heck I might order both. Put them on 2 different setups and see which I like better.

13. gman

gman Senior Member

they are both great leaders if i think visability will be a factor i will use fishermans stealth, if not varivas is soft like butter but strong like bull hahah

14. jig

jig Senior Member

I am going to get some 100# jinkai for our scat cat trip. I gave up on APS, they've been sold out for a while. I assume a mid knot will hold on it better than it did my 60# flouro. I had no problems with a mid knot on 80 mono.

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have been tryinv to tie the mid knot for some time now. Can't seem to get it consistant. I can tie a good PR knot so i'm going to stick with it.
    Maybe I will grab some of the Varivas andwe can compare.

16. jig

jig Senior Member

I'll bring the blindfold.:)