Leader length preference for Popping

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by SteelingHeads, Mar 4, 2009.

1. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

The other post about leader length preference for Jigging got me thinking about this. I have always kept my leader very short (less then 5 feet) when Popping for Tuna. I have done this because I don't like passing the knot through the guides while casting. What do others prefer? I know that a longer leader is preferable, but what about weakening the knot while it passes through the guides? Does a PR Knot prevent the weakening, or at least cut down on it?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Use a drop of Loctite 406 on your knot when u r done and you should get improved knot strength if not close to 100%. PR Knot, Mid Knot, and wind-on leaders using loop 2 loop method are the popular methods.

3. SteelingHeads

Use a drop of Loctite 406 on your knot when u r done and you should get improved knot strength if not close to 100%. Page Ranking Knot, Mid Knot, and wind-on leaders using loop 2 loop method are the popular methods.

You use Loop to Loop for Popping as well? I have only used that for Jigging. I will definately try the Loctite on my PR Knot if you think that helps to protect from the guides. What length leader are you using then, about 20 feet?

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You just need a small drop of loctite 406. For popping, use 10-15ft, too long a leader may reduce your casting distance.

5. SteelingHeads

You just need a small drop of loctite 406. For popping, use 10-15ft, too long a leader may reduce your casting distance.

Awesome, thanks for the input lord.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

By the way, if you're not planning to make your own wind-ons, buy them from BHP tackle, their serves are small and compact to reduce chances of catching the guide when passing through:

Wind-On Leaders - How They're Made :: BHP Tackle

I recommend Jinkai mono leaders for popping as the leader is soft and supple like Varivas or Fisherman mono.

7. SteelingHeads

I do like Jinkai a lot and use it for my deep water jigging applications. For my Popping I have been using YoZuri H.D. Fluorocarbon. I still intend to try out the Blackwater Fluoro too.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I don't think there's a need for Flouro in popping applications, but do let us know how it goes.

9. SteelingHeads

Okay, sounds good. I have not experimented enough yet to say that I am definately getting a return from the Fluorocarbon. Thus far, I have just sided to caution and used the Fluoro, but i will certainly try the Jinkai for Popping as well.

10. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

Fluro does have less memory and will give you more abrasion resistance.

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I recommend Jinkai mono leaders for popping as the leader is soft and supple like Varivas or Fisherman mono.

Jinki is not as soft and supple as Varivas or Fisherman. It is softer than most leader material though.

And floro will give you problems casting if you use a leader thats connected inside the guides.

d-a

12. SteelingHeads

Jinki is not as soft and supple as Varivas or Fisherman. It is softer than most leader material though.

And floro will give you problems casting if you use a leader thats connected inside the guides.

d-a

d-a,

Can you explain? Are you saying the Fluro will chaff if the knot has to pass through the guides?

13. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Fluro does have less memory and will give you more abrasion resistance.
    I have always found flouro to be very stiff. It does not seem to want to conform to the spool.

14. gman

gman Senior Member

Fluro sucks to cast too stiff and too brittle IMHO especially the upper class of leader shock leaders are soft like butter and have great memory so they cast and spool well

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

sometimes FC makes a difference. it happens, tuna get leader shy. id always bring FC just in case tuna arent hitting regular leaders. casting is much easier with softer line, as you might expect. still, i've casted with FC without the line getting wrapped too often.