leader length preference for jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tunatuna, Mar 2, 2009.

1. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

What is your preference?? :) thanks

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

10-15 feet. Popping I use 4-10 feet

d-a

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

4. gman

gman Senior Member

10-12 feet

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

longer than 6 ft is usually good enough, but I like to have 12 - 20 ft leader line.
    First, line get damaged while fighting tuna or scratching against bottom of a boat and you cut the damaged line.
    Second, I don't like braided line rubbing against boat when tuna is circling right under the boat.
    If leader line get too short, you have to retie it and it usually happens when you have hot bites. :)

6. gman

gman Senior Member

longer than 6 ft is usually good enough, but I like to have 12 - 20 ft leader line.
    First, line get damaged while fighting tuna or scratching against bottom of a boat and you cut the damaged line.
    Second, I don't like braided line rubbing against boat when tuna is circling right under the boat.
    If leader line get too short, you have to retie it and it usually happens when you have hot bites. :)

Ahhhhhh funny you should say this Kil, I was the victim of this on a great fish. Broke my heart in Panama.

Whenever you gut tells you to do something, follow it.

I had just been bitten off and I looked at my leader, it was about 5' but I didn't want to wait to retie as bite was hot. I was using the lightweight Stealth rod as I was trying to land a tuna over 100-120 on it.

SO instead of re tying the leader I casted it with a short one. I got my wish when a tuna ate my popper and took off as the 6000 stella was screaming I knew it was a good fish

In the end we got close color, and in its last circle the tuna took off and pulled me and my line down the side of the boat and cut me off

If I had re tied my leader this wouldnt have ended that way

Rookie mistake

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

don't feel bad. you can't stop during a really hot bite to retie. you don't know how long that bite is going to last......so you just hope for the best :)

i had this happen to me as well, it wasn't a great fish, but it was the last tuna i hooked that night. had i stopped to retie i wouldnt even have hooked it. even though it busted off, i still had a better chance than if the lure wasnt in the water.

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I not much of a jigger so I always have at least 2 popping rods ready just in case the the above scenario happen.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I go with 10-12 feet for jigging also

10. gman

gman Senior Member

I not much of a jigger so I always have at least 2 popping rods ready just in case the the above scenario happen.

TJ I had 3 different set ups ready to go. I just wanted to catch something big on this lighter rod. I could have pulled 2 other rods already set up but I chose to cast that one

11. gman

gman Senior Member

don't feel bad. you can't stop during a really hot bite to retie. you don't know how long that bite is going to last......so you just hope for the best :)

i had this happen to me as well, it wasn't a great fish, but it was the last tuna i hooked that night. had i stopped to retie i wouldnt even have hooked it. even though it busted off, i still had a better chance than if the lure wasnt in the water.

Like I told TJ i had other options I was using this for a purpose

12. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

i use 15-20 with the same reasons as kil. By the end of a trip im usually down to my last 5 ft or so after cutting away to switch jigs, line abrasion from fish or boat. This way you dont need to retie a PR, MId, uni knot whatever your choice is

13. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I'm going to be making leaders that have enough stretch but that also cast well. It seems to be centering on about 9' but I've got more work to do.

I will have several pre-made leaders ready ahead of time and will have split/solid or split/swivels already tied and knots pre-tested. The leaders will be attached with Loop-to-loop. I've found that L2L casts well as long as the splice section is the right length, not too long.

Once a leader is compromised, I will switch it out and repair it later if that's possible. I know this sounds idealistic but it is so hard to find fish sometimes that I don't want to lose one to a badly-tied, heat-of-battle knot. We'll see how it goes.

14. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

thanks for all the advice... following questions. when you rig a jig.. how do you decided which size solid ring and which size split ring combination..

let's say we are using owner solid rings and split ring as components.

400-600 gram jig. will following be an ideal hardware combination or overkill??
    #9 solid ring with #10 or #11 split ring

150-300 gram jig
    #7.5 solid ring with #8 or #9 split ring

thank you guys:)

15. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Your solid/split ring combo looks good. It's a matter of preference really, just make the jig can move around the rings freely.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i normally use 250+ lb split rings for offshore fish

17. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I don't use Owner solid rings. They're pressed too thin and have heard too many say that they can cut leader under heavy drag.

Solid ring wire should be round in profile and larger than leader. The ones I tried that I really like are #6 - 6mm ID, 10mm OD and 350lb rated:
    Solid Ring Assist Hook Jigging Pirk Fishing Jig 350lb - eBay (item 380021759157 end time Mar-22-09 01:35:20 PDT)

These are extremely heavy duty. The #8 550lb solid is nice size too and even thicker. I personally wouldn't see need for any larger than the #8 for jigging/popping, but they do have up to #11 900lbs if you like.

Spro power split rings #6-8 are rated pretty high for size. But I really like looks of the Varivas Power Split rings. 150lb and 200lb look really strong for the size. The 200lb is ~9mm ID and 12.5mm OD.

Jason

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I don't use Owner solid rings. They're pressed too thin and have heard too many say that they can cut leader under heavy drag.

Jason
    I read it before, but all said they heard it. :)

19. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Hahaha! That's so true Kilsong! I'm online so much with many of you it starts to feel like a real conversation instead of just typing! ;)

It's great to be able to share ideas when we're spread all around the globe. But it's so easy, there's not enough direct contact between people nowadays...

(But I think Freddy actually told me that tip when we were fishing with George, so I think I did hear and read this one! ;) :D)

20. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Solid ring wire should be round in profile and larger than leader. The ones I tried that I really like are #6 - 6mm ID, 10mm OD and 350lb rated:
    Solid Ring Assist Hook Jigging Pirk Fishing Jig 350lb - eBay (item 380021759157 end time Mar-22-09 01:35:20 PDT)

These are extremely heavy duty. The #8 550lb solid is nice size too and even thicker. I personally wouldn't see need for any larger than the #8 for jigging/popping, but they do have up to #11 900lbs if you like.

Spro power split rings #6-8 are rated pretty high for size. But I really like looks of the Varivas Power Split rings. 150lb and 200lb look really strong for the size. The 200lb is ~9mm ID and 12.5mm OD.

Jason

I agree with your thought process. I have been reading about stress concentration in fishing line and have seen that there are two usual reasons for failure of a properly made knot: not enough turns, leading to slippage; and too sharp a turn at the first bend, creating stress (load) concentration on the outside.

If the ring is thinner than the diameter of the line or even about the same size, at the bend, the outside of the line material carries most of the load and the inside line material carries little, leading to fracture at the outside.

Thank you for the recommendations. I will be selecting my solid rings based on their thickness relative to the diameter of the line I'm using.

The other reason that I like the split/solid or split/swivel approach is that it makes it hard to put a sideways pull on the knot since either combination can tilt in any direction. Flexing the line sideways at the knot can lead to the same type of line fatigue that you get when you flex a wire too many times.