360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears,

I are new in forum. Is my 1th post.

My name is Marcelo, 38 years, and live in
Rio de Janeiro-Brasil. I practice oceanic fishing.

In 23 and 29 December I fished in 100 meters distance to platform petroleum, and we captured yellow fin tunas!

Ever since I fell in love with the fisher with poppers.

I buy the following materials:

Stella 10000sw
Poppers Nomad Cubera 150
Poppers OTI Komodo
Line Varivas Avani Big One PE 5 (78 lbs???)
Rod V-Fox 8 `.

Now my doubt is which leader to use.....

Which deader is it recommended? should I use shock leader? And advisable to use the equivalent leader to PE5 (50 lbs) or equivalent the resistance of the line (78 lbs)?

I await the friends' recommendation.

sorry for my english bad.

regards

·
Site Sponsor
3,890 Posts
I like to use a heavier leader. The main line you have is the best, I would pair that with Varivas #100 or even #130. In popping the fish can't see the leader like bait fishing so don't be afraid to use a heavier leader.

Welcome to TackleNow.com!

Good luck down there!

·
234 Posts
Hi Marcelo ,

I always use leader which is approximately 1.5 times the breaking strain of the PE line , in your case 130 lbs and if the fish I am targetting has abrasive mouth or bill in the case of sailfish , I add 18" of thick bite leader ( 400 lbs. ) which is crimped both ends . Connection to the eyelet of the lure is facilitated by means of splitring and on the other end tied directly to the 130 lbs. leader .

Big yellowfin tuna has abrasive mouth and in a long fight , will wear out the 130 lbs. leader so thick bite leader , preferably fluorocarbon type is desirable .

I see Heru lures have reached Brazil too , good ! :D

Jon .

·
513 Posts
I trust my knots with the Fisherman Super Stealth Mono over those I've tied with Fluorocarbon. Am I giving up a lot of abrasion-resistance by not using fluoro, I wonder?

·
3,165 Posts
Que tal Marcelo..you are certainly in the right site for all of ur fishing inquiries and from all of the tuna heads here...bien venido...

astro..

·
2,924 Posts
I use varivas shock leader, fishermans stealth leader or Jinkai wind ons all are adequate. I would suggest 130 as a starting point and move up from there.

·
Site Sponsor
1,275 Posts
Hi Marcelo
if the yellow fin your targeting is in the 100lb class then the 100lb to 130lb leader is ideal, as for the larger class in the 200lb i recomend you a 150lb to 200lb leader of your choice, preferably Fluorocarbon leader,
we land fish close to 200lb using 150lb leader.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts