Leader for Jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Nov 3, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

On my recent trip I tested jigging with mono. Before I had used FC or flurocarbon for everything except popping. I did not notice any less strikes from a past trip on Dolphin Docks where I used mono also.

Have you noticed differences jigging with FC over mono?

Will test more coming in a few weeks.

2. papio

papio Senior Member

I haven't notice any significant differences jigging with FC over mono either, at least not here in the GOM. When chunking in day light I try to stay with FC but then I see no real difference there too. Now, when I fish the clear Hawaiian waters, that's a different story.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i use different materials when jigging for different species. with tuna i use FC. all others i use mono.

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

flourocarbon for no other reason than abrasion resistance

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

So I thought I had some Fisherman Stealth Leader but I couldn't think back on where I used all of it, come to find out I never even ordered it from APS LOL. When this line comes back in stock I will use it primarly for jigging day and night but if fish are picky I will use FC. But for the time being, more regular mono testing. =)

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can borrow some of mine. i have 80 and 130. i think i might have my dads spool of 100 as well. need to check.

i have a little 60lb blackwater FC left too I think. and a bunch of seaguar FC.

I don't mind FC on a conventional reel, on a spinner its just a PITA without a spool band.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

cool thanks Bret, I might have to take you up on that offer

How is that seaguar compared to the blackwater?

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Andes pink 40 for Black fin......Oh wait that was the 80's...:)

Still works just not as cool.

Post info from Tom Petty, The Cars and Pat Benatar;)

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

For tuna, flouro will give you the edge, because they have blood vessels in their eyes that give them better vision than normal fish.

For everything else, a piece of fresh clear mono is my choice, because its not as stiff and easier to tie.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

cool thanks Bret, I might have to take you up on that offer

How is that seaguar compared to the blackwater?

its stiffer but it still works well

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I am not convinced FC is needed for jigging--specially speed jigging. The most important part of jigging is the action on the jig. With that said, I still spend more on FC than I think I should and I have a tendency to turn to FC if I have it.

12. gman

gman Senior Member

I am not convinced FC is needed for jigging--specially speed jigging. The most important part of jigging is the action on the jig. With that said, I still spend more on FC than I think I should and I have a tendency to turn to FC if I have it.

Great point ... I would love to understand the anatomy of the bite. Color versus movement?? Match the Hatch versus bold. For instance I get bit on pink more than any other color but what the hell is pink while my blue sardine jigs get ignored ... coincidence or not???

I would think for speed jigging the fish is more attracted to the motion of the jig ripping through the water column and how that affects the fishes lateral line. To me its a reaction bite rather than a hunger bite where you are trying to present a chunk in a natural setting

I have not noticed any difference in using fluro while jigging or popping

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

at night when speed jigging (or for jigging amberjack) i dont think it is necessary since the line would be tougher to see. during the daytime i think its a good idea, especially if you're just doing up/down slow jigging.

14. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

In general, I don't use flouro at all for popping and jigging. I think it's too stiff and I don't have faith in knots tied in it. I was sent some samples of Blackwater to try and it is much softer than seaguar, but still not comparable to Varivas, Jinkai or Fisherman in softness. I will give it a shot though.

15. miles

miles Senior Member

Hiya

I ran an experiment a while back, with some trolling lures. I had two identical rapala x-rap trolling lures and two identiacally rigged Yamashita squids. On one set, i rigged them with normal 130lb mono and the other with 130lb FlouroCarbon.

On the Albacore tuna, i did get a few full-house strikes, but the Flourocarbon rigged Rapala AND Yamashita consistantly outfished the normal mono.

On the Yellowfins, the Flourocarbon outfished the standard mono CONSISTANTLY. Since we rarely get multiple YF hook-ups on the troll, 90% of the time, the Flourocarbon got the hook-up.

These tests were done over a few trips, trolling at 4-8knts speed. I just wanted to prove to myself, that Flourocarbon would be beneficial to my fishing, when trolling.

Since jigging also offers the tuna a moving bait, using the above tests can be beneficial.

For chunking, i ONLY use Flourocarbon. Even in dirty water, as the stiffness of the FC offers BETTER bait presentation.

Regards
    miles

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thanks for sharing the experiment, miles.

been out lately? how is it this time of year?

17. miles

miles Senior Member

Hiya

Still in Canada!! Will be leaving in 2 weeks and 6 days and 4 hours and 44 minutes.....:D :D :D

Our season in SA has JUST started. They had a comp. this week and reports of tuna on the surface for 100's of yards!! Two weeks ago, quite a few 180-200lb'ers were landed. Looks like its going to be another AWESOME season!:D :D

Can barely sleep at night anymore:D :D

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ah man youre killing me. thats incredible.

are you going to try popping for them? from waht i understand, jigging and popping for tuna there is still quite new?

19. miles

miles Senior Member

Yes, i have tried popping for them, but no luck. They're not feeding on baifish, but on discarded by-catch and fish entrails, thrown overboard by the hake longliners and trawlers.

I have taken them up to 150lb's on popping gear, very close inshore. This is how-ever rare. What happens is that we go yellowtail (same family as amberjack) fish. Our local yellowtail are 10-20lb's, so we use relatively light gear, like Daiwa Sl30sh or Shimano Toruim 20's with 20-30lb mono and 2-3oz surface plugs. Every so now and then, the water will warm up enough for the YF to come close inshore and you the accidently hook them on this very light tackle. 1-3 hours fights is the end result!!

Offshore how-ever, we RARELY see them feeding on baitfish on the surface. I've chummed them right up to the surface, where i would lob whole pilchards at them, but they still refused to slam the popper i was throwing. Completely confuses me!!

Jigging for them here has been dismal. This i think is primarily becuase its not a very EFFECTIVE way to catch our tuna. Its HARD to try and keep on jigging, when all 3 your buddies are hooked up into 150-200lb fish on chunks, all whilst you can SEE 5-10 free-swimming YF eating chum around the boat!! The jigs very quickly get cut off and out comes the chunking gear. 15 seconds later.......FISH ON!!

With that kind of chunking available, its hard to concerntrate on jigging, if it's not yielding results......

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Yes, i have tried popping for them, but no luck. They're not feeding on baifish, but on discarded by-catch and fish entrails, thrown overboard by the hake longliners and trawlers.

I have taken them up to 150lb's on popping gear, very close inshore. This is how-ever rare. What happens is that we go yellowtail (same family as amberjack) fish. Our local yellowtail are 10-20lb's, so we use relatively light gear, like Daiwa Sl30sh or Shimano Toruim 20's with 20-30lb mono and 2-3oz surface plugs. Every so now and then, the water will warm up enough for the YF to come close inshore and you the accidently hook them on this very light tackle. 1-3 hours fights is the end result!!

Offshore how-ever, we RARELY see them feeding on baitfish on the surface. I've chummed them right up to the surface, where i would lob whole pilchards at them, but they still refused to slam the popper i was throwing. Completely confuses me!!

Jigging for them here has been dismal. This i think is primarily becuase its not a very EFFECTIVE way to catch our tuna. Its HARD to try and keep on jigging, when all 3 your buddies are hooked up into 150-200lb fish on chunks, all whilst you can SEE 5-10 free-swimming YF eating chum around the boat!! The jigs very quickly get cut off and out comes the chunking gear. 15 seconds later.......FISH ON!!

With that kind of chunking available, its hard to concerntrate on jigging, if it's not yielding results......

If you are dedicated enough, it can be done!