le me introduce myself

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by fishologist, Aug 22, 2007.

1. fishologist

fishologist Member

my name is chad thompson and have been lurking around these pages for a while but thought i should just go ahead and join up. i know some of you guys know me from 2cool because i reconize a lot of your names.

for those that dont know me im one of the hard core fishermen, i love to fish, and i get paid for fishing... not realy i have a degree in fisheries and have worked as a biologist all over the country i have worked on everything from suckers, salmon, smallmouth to snappers. curently im in texas working for the coastal fisheries division of TPWD as a fish tech.
    me and my wife are started a new venture and and would like you guys to check it out. it is MC Saltwater Tackle the leader in leaders.
    I make everything by hand and its top quality materials. the web address is www.mcsaltatertackle.com. if there is a certain kind of leader that you guys use or need let us know. this is not on here just to promote my buisness, the buisness as all small buisness take up so much our your life they are your life.

i hope i can add what knowledge i have and learn from people that know more than me,

2. Ratherbfishing

Ratherbfishing Member

Hey fishologist I recognize you and your famous avatar from 2cool. Welcome to the board!

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Dickinson, Tx?

Not far from me, maybe we will bump into each other some time on a dock or in a ice house.

I found your web page @ mcsaltwatertackle

Kev

4. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Welcome to 360 Fishologist!

We can always use a biologist on board!

I ordered some snapper/AJ/Grouper leaders yesterday and a couple of wind-on leaders for my Dad's 52 hour trip.

Look forward to checking them out!

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

fishologist: I too recognize you and your logo from 2cool, although I didn't put you together with your company. By coincidence, I too placed an order yesterday. With the help of the folks on this board, I have been putting together my own extra heavy leaders (400 pound test etc.) for the huge grouper and amberjack I hope to catch, but frankly, I get frustrated making and testing the lighter, more practical leaders. Don't know why, but I have not had as much success with those. So yesterday I ordered a bunch.

Now that you are here, I do have a couple of questions about your wire snapper leaders:

I ordered quite a few snapper leaders with mono and one or two packs made with wire

Are the wire leaders only intended for situations where other toothy fish are causing trouble?

Second, do you and your customers notice a drop-off in bites from snapper and smaller grouper when going to the wire leaders?

Thanks,

Russ

6. fishologist

fishologist Member

i almost always fish the wire it is very flexable and one leader can last all day. you ask people and it is just a preferece thing, some like fishing with wire and some like mono. personaly the reasoning for bottom fishing with the wire is there is a lot of stuff down there to nick the mono and your just taking the chance on loosing a good fish. for aj and suspended species i like the mono and will almost use it exclusivey.
    now for bottom fishing for gouper we use 300 lb mono but we take some steps to protect the line. the weight is alached to a slider swivle sleeve crimped into place 4 ft from the hook. to this you ttach a 18 in piece of 50 lb mono that is supplied with the weight, the mono has perfection loops on each end so it allows you to change weight and break the weight of when it get tangled in the rocks. the most important thing it to prevent nicks in your line. so after sending your line down crank up a couple of turns and that will suspend the actual leader 18 in off the bottom and that bait has a 4 ft radius it can swim around in.

our kingfish leader is a big hit, it is made with the same sulfron and if you look at our fish tales page has caught kings, ling, dolphin, baracuda, bft.

so to answer your question about the color diference, i think there are times that you need mono and times you need wire. but as ar as snapper i have a sulfron leader on my pole

7. fishologist

fishologist Member

im proud of that logo it took many of a nights to figure that out, if you notice it makes a M and C for michelle and chad .me and my wifes name.. prety cool huh

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

ichthyologist-

Where did you go to school?

9. fishologist

fishologist Member

southeastern oklahoma state university studdied under dr tim patton, but relly went to school once i got out...lol....

10. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Was he your advisor? He co-authored a good conservation biology text. I used it once for a course. He does a lot with inland fisheries.

11. fishologist

fishologist Member

ya he was my advisior, mentor, saving grace he got my butt back in line in college.. ya he does a lot of inland but now that he has graduates along the gulf coasts he brings special study classes down. last year we wore them out. it was a week long class and we did everything our staff does in a month in a week for those guys, man they have never seen a gillnet as long as we use and seeing all those fish in the shrimp trawls, even all the critters in the bag seigns. we even pulled out a retired beach seign and the pulled it about 10 times by san luis pass it took three of them to pull the deep end

12. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

Hey Chad,

Good to see you over here.

Everyone, I have used Chad's leaders and besides being a super nice guy, he produces a quality product.

13. fishologist

fishologist Member

thanks mike you have some great stuff yourself