Latest Tuna Tackle

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rhale, Mar 12, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Down time can still be fun while messing with your tackle...
    I have been building new rods, respooling reels, checking and reorganizing tackle so why I had it out I took a few pics of my latest set ups.

I had to make some changes to 2 of my older rods, 1st was the GUSA mono mag (spinner matched with 10K SW Stella) I had to turn the first guide around as I didnt know about that trick when I built the rod (lost 2 shibuki's because the line caught on this guide) and I also did some grip shaping an my new lathe that a friend gave me.....
    2nd was my Jigging Master 450 gram (conventional matched with Accurate 870 2 speed), I had a problem with the line cutting into the grip due to poor guide placement and a long foregrip. This only happened when in full drag but it still bothered me so I took the first guide off and did a tiger butt wrap with several thick coats of finish to raise up the guide (I didnt want to put a taller guide) then rewrapped the guide. I also shaved the foregrip to a smaller diameter for extra clearance.
    My 3rd set up is the monster buster, Calstar 700XH spinner matched with 10K FA Stella with 20K spool. This rod was a little to heavy and bulky so it went on the lathe also and I shaved the grips to a much smaller diameter and shed some weight at the same time.
    4th and 5th are waiting to be matched up with reels... 4th is a 600 gram OTI spinner (blue) and 5th the Tuna Max XXH spinner (grey) I am still trying to decide between the 20K Stella, 10K JDM Stella, and the Twinspin 20.....
    I have a few more jigging set ups not pictured but these are my primary jigging and popping set ups.

What do yall think? How many more do I need???:D :D

I have been thinking alot about trying a bait and switch for Blue Marlin this summer on the Monster Buster listed above, I guess it would really be bait and bait because I want to use some type of topwater or swim bait. What lure would be your first choice for this?

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

cant go wrong with a shibuki. ive had nice success with tailwalk gunz, shimano ocea pencil and tackle house long distance.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ha, yes. if you need crew im happy to drive down :D

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

:D They look great!!!

IMO, you can never have enough custom rods, especially if you made them yourself!:D

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Looks good, there's never an end to needing more rods.

d-a

6. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I'm usually not a fan of diamond threadwork, but that blue one looks sic man. Good looking rod.

Also, that is one serious looking rod lathe.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great lookin rods

8. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Good looking toys,

9. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Thanks guys, now all I need is calm seas and its on..

Bret & MM I got yall on the crew list for this year. Last year I made quite a few trips with a partial crew so count on going.

10. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Very nice!! I need to get off my a$$ and start building more, your pix and decent weather is good incentive!! ;)

11. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Ronnie,

Nice looking rods!

Thanks for the YFT loins on our last trip - the wife and daughter loved the sashimi :D ! I ordered more Shibuki's so I'll be ready for my next trip.

Louis