Latest Tuna Max Big Game heavy build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Jason4606, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Not fancy, but functional. Rod is 5'2" and approx 10oz.

Tiger wrap and open Diamonds. Metallic blue and purple with black over-wraps. (Note to self... Blue with purple makes purple look PINK!)
    [​IMG]

My rod pix never look good. Couldn't even get all of the dust and lint off. Oh well!
    [​IMG]

Grips are pretty plain, just shaped a little!
    [​IMG]

Overall
    [​IMG]

Rod balances really well with 8000 Stella. Guides are MNSG/T 40-25-20-16-12-12T and 22 down-locking Fuji reel seat. I stuck with 40mm stripper even though I'm using 8000. 30mm might have been OK, but 40 makes for a much straighter pull from reel and doesn't add that much weight.

Rubber butt cap only, no gimble. XH will get plastic gimble.;)

8" front grip, and 13" rear - not including cap. (I looked up factory TM After I built up the grips and they are exactly the same lengths. I guess those are pretty common sizes, but still a little weird since I was originally going to use shorter front grip.)

If the weather cooperates and my back loosens up its death grip on my sciatic nerve a little, maybe we'll get action pix of it this weekend. :)

Later,
    Jason

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

VERY NICE Work Jason!

You wrapped this totally by yourself right? All I can say is that it looks amazing (okay pinkle not so mucho) but I hope to be where you are someday with the rod building skills.

thats a nice version of a blue rose! what blank did you decide to use?

3. Jason4606

VERY NICE Work Jason!

You wrapped this totally by yourself right? All I can say is that it looks amazing (okay pinkle not so mucho) but I hope to be where you are someday with the rod building skills.

thats a nice version of a blue rose! what blank did you decide to use?

Thanks! Yes, built from scratch in about 4-5 evenings... Blank is Tuna Max Big Game, Heavy model.

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Agreed,
    Nice job.

Kev

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Jason: Are you bringing it Saturday? I want to see if we can rip some lips.

6. Jason4606

Thanks guys!

Jason: Are you bringing it Saturday? I want to see if we can rip some lips.
    Yes, that's definitely the plan! Hopefully the stars will align and we'll finally get some flat seas... :)

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

good looking rod bro, good job

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Thanks guys!

Yes, that's definitely the plan! Hopefully the stars will align and we'll finally get some flat seas... :)

So far it is looking good!!!!!

9. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Can't wait to abuse that rod on AJ's and grouper this weekend :)
    I might bring my TM-xxh to compare the action.

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

looks great jason.

11. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Very nice work, you will be happy with TM.

12. red34

red34 Guest

i really like your work. too bad i ran out of reels to build rods for

13. Jason4606

Thanks guys... It doesn't look so good when you put it next to Freddy's and Johnny's Tuna Max's... But they gave me ideas for my next build!:)

It did really well last weekend. The heavy was perfect for speed jigging 200g, and I'd imagine up to 350-400g would still be OK too. Not parabolic but very easy on angler. I really like the light tip and faster action of Big Game. I could feel it bend right to foregrip with ~16-18lbs of drag, and it was a lot of fun on those ~30" AJ's!