Late Summer Topwater Action, R.M. Smith

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by Enoch, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I know I never really post pictures in this particular thread, but here is some great bass on topwater lure that is made for Striped bass. It's a jointed r.m. smith for those who know or may not realize it.

One of the last times of the season, the wind/weather lined up and I knew it would be a trip to take and remember. PB day as I claimed...

...well, I did fight my PB but never landed it.

Total in all, 3 solid hookups on one lure that I launched into the shadows all day. Jieman was my accompanist however his beer can lure tactics did not field a fish.
    The morning was slow, I did have a hit on the RM Smith but I couldnt set the hook twice.

Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall, a beautiful day and fish over 20 inches. ;D (20.4) and some missed monster

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Nice Bucketmouth, I used to do a LOT of bass fishing. just can't seem to find the time to do it all anymore.I miss it.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks for the comliment. I really did enjoy fishing for these guys. It's hard after fishing the salt to go back to the freshwater style but I can certainly appreciate it when I'm on the water !

:) :D

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

that was a hungry bass. nice pics

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks Brian, I love using big big lures to cast to topwater bass. The guys on the water are laughing when they see that on my line, however laugh no more when I hook into good fish!

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Nice! Funny seeing an RM Smith Lure in freshwater :p I wonder if they can take the power of a GT or big tuna...

My favorite topwater lure for freshwater has to be a Smack-it... I'm a fan of rattles :)

Was this lake in south jersey or philly area?

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Brian,

Yea, it certainly was a pleasure to throw/lob this big lure to the shadows to get a bite!

It's so big that the first fish that attacked it hit twice before my patience set the hook and pulled it out of the mouth of the bass.

I think it's about 10 1/2 inches long. The stock rings of the R.M Smith wont last with a tuna or GT but once upgraded, it might live up to a tuna. GT...well I doubt anything under 20kg can do much harm but eventually the rings and swivels may pull...
    Smack-it's I use for rockfish aka stripers. That is a number 1 lure on my topwater hotlist if I ever had one...

To answer your questions on the lake...OF COURSE it was PHILLY! Greenlane Reservoir!

hah

:D

8. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Nice bass! Ryan makes awesome plugs

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Hi fish4stripers,

Do you know Ryan? Perhaps you can share some of these pictures with him. I'm sure he would be glad to see his big jointed plug landing bass on topwater in eastern PA

=D

Nice bass! Ryan makes awesome plugs

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice bass. I like big lures for them too. I have caught them on shubiki's and heru poppers.

d-a

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Wow, shibuki and heru poppers! That is my idea of real topwater for some monster bass. We don't get them as exceptionally huge as yall do in the south, I wish I have the opportunity to get on some southern strain bass. I would definitely use all of my big topwater plugs!

Post some pictures when you got a chance!

Nice bass. I like big lures for them too. I have caught them on shubiki's and heru poppers.

d-a

12. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

sorry ,don't know him personally. I've bought some of his lures and they are very well made, so nice you don't want to throw them!

13. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

agreed, but there comes a time when u need to try them out! haha, the action of the lure may suprise you!

That is how I found out about this particular jointed species. After I found that it had the right action for lmb, I decided to give it a go!

good luck!