Late Report Wrightsville Beach, NC topwater action!

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by cbaker77, May 12, 2008.

1. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Headed out last thursday in search of mahi and grouper. Fishing started out a little slow in the morning so we decided to head offshore for snowy grouper. Half way to the spot we came across a floating mini fridge and stopped to investigate. We saw nothing home but decided to make a few casts with my new shibuki anyways. On the second cast a nice mahi comes greyhoundning from over 100yds away zeroed in on the bait and smoked it. That was quite a sight to see and there is no doubt the shibuki is a catching machine. We proceeded to land 2 mahis in the 20 lb class on topwater and a "quick release" with the gaff on one that would have gone over 40 lbs. It was by far my biggest mahi but oh well. Needless to say after that I am hooked on the topwater game. I cannot wait for some more topwater action. They shut down after we knocked that one off the hook. We proceeded out to the snowy grounds and had a quick limit. We also had a small handful on the troll but unfortunately, due to a little radio trouble we missed the hot bite a little to the north of us. The conditions were beautiful and the fishing was good. Life doesn't get any better. Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

nice thats awesome.........i definitely want a few mahi when i come back this time.

awesome grouper as well......how was it dropping that deep with a spinner?

3. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Thanks Bret. It is not bad at all dropping with the spinner. Especially when there is a big azz grouper on the other end coming back up!

4. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member