360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished grilling a YFT loin.The fish tipped the scales at 97lbs. The steak was excellent but I have had better quality with smaller fish.
Am I just crazy or do other people have the same experience?
Maybe I missed the spice this time or is their better quality with smaller or larger fish?
Just curious?
David

·
6 Posts
The larger the tuna the longer the fight using the same tackle.Tuna flesh can "burn" in a prolonged battle which diminishes its quality.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't catch the fish, I was told it was longline fish today.It was definitely YFT but I did not know it was longlined.That probably explains the reason for different taste.I am used to having only YFT that I have caught and it is also eaten usually the same day.Don't get me wrong, it was a nice steak but it just didn't taste like what I am used too.

·
1,657 Posts
That sounds more plausable than a 97lb yft coming from the western side of the stream in NC. Many 97lb Bft have been mistaken for Yft though. The eastern side of the stream, out were the Longliners fish is loaded. One captain taking a boat to Bermuda this spring went through a 5 mile long school of tuna on the far side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts