Large Tuna Cooler Bag

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SteelingHeads, Nov 4, 2009.

1. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

How are these bags? I've heard they have either poor quality zippers or too little insulation? I THINK, but I may be wrong. Otherwise....sweet deal and probably doesn't matter as I have used a tarp before with satisfactory results.

3. SteelingHeads

Hampton,

I am not sure. Personally, I have a Canyon bag and love it. I have heard good things about the Old Harbor products in general though.

4. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

sounds good enough to me!!!

5. gman

gman Senior Member

I had one and hated it. Fish Bags are made to keep the fish cold and submerged in ice. For some reason unlike every other major bag they have vent hole in the corners which allows any melted ice to drain out of the bag.

Bad design IMHO this not only makes the bag leak during transport but also allows more warm air into bag to make the ice melt faster.

This would be my only choice, the best bag on the market and its used by most tournament teams. Maybe a little pricey but better than buy multiple bags to find one you like. The Canyon Bag is absolutely waterproof and gaurentees to keep 90% of your ice for over 24 hours

Canyon Insulated Fish Cooler Bags B-15

6. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

7. drfishalot

drfishalot Member

well, has anyone ordered one of the old harbor bags, post up if you have and tell us if its worth 100.00

8. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

bot one.....

based on other's pricing and quality, yes........ i'd say it's with $100

($101 might be stretching it some ;))

it's thin-walled compared to other quality bags i own.... and for the deep-south fishing in the heat i'm sure it'd be a bit on the light side but upper atlantic/cooler air it should be fine IMO

i'm only speaking about this one old harbour bag..... never tried any others

it'd also be perfect for Texas deer and hog hunters

9. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i should add that it's just-the-ticket for tournament fishermen to get out cheap if they must show that they attempted to keep their catch in edible condition (;) ;))

i know that's the rules for the TIFT even tho they let kills hang in the hot sun for hours

10. SteelingHeads

It's good to know what the quality of that bag is. Thanks Bill. I posted that link only because I had never seen a new large bag that inexpensive before.

11. skip

skip Member

I use the Reliable Fishing Bags and have no major complaints. I have noted that their smaller bags are not completely waterproof which can be an issue with fish like tuna and the amount of blood that comes out!