???Laihana, Maui Hawaii???

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by BFTMASTER, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Might be going to Laihana, Maui to visit brother-in-law and family this fall. He tells me that there is good fishing there and plenty of boats.

Has anyone ever gone there? Marlin? Tuna? or tourist trap?

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Maui and Laihana aren't the best fishing spots in Hawaii. The water between them is shallow. It's a long run to get to the deeper water. They do occasionally catch some big marlin there, but I would look at it as more of a vacation and a place to enjoy.

Maui is my least favorite of the islands. Mainly because it's a tourist trap. People here in the states get good deals on packages to Maui, therefore the island caters to them with modern facilities and restaurants. It's fast paced like here in the states. Some of the other islands are very laid back and still primitive. I just like the more remote places. You might enjoy your stay there way better than I did. I did fish Maui once and got skunked. That can happen on any of the islands but my Capt thought I was the usual tourist and took me for a boat ride even though I told him I was serious about fishing.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful place. Just don't go fishing. Drive around the perimeter of the island. There is one area (I can't think of it now) that is a whole day trip. The road is full of curves for over three hours. The rental car company tells you to turn around and don't drive over the dry lava area. I went with my gut and ignored the rental car companies advice. It was worth it as it saved me about two hours and all the stress of turning and turning and turning on the steep wet road. Don't forget to visit the volcano in Maui. That was probably my highlight of my stay in Maui.

The thing that really tee-ed me off about Maui is the fires. They will start burning the old sugar cane fields and that smoke is so thick that it will shut down the roads. It took me over three hours to go 20 miles one day. The traffic can be as bad as Houston.

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Same-Same as Mesta Bill say,:)

Did a Power Project there 18 yrs ago.
    I did not fish from that Island but did check the docks in the afternoon.
    At the end of project, I fished with Boats\Capts that I knew..
    on Main Island. I am no expert though, look around and decide.

"The traffic can be as bad as Houston." Ha Ha.
    I can see Houston Chambers of Commerce spin.
    "Houston and Maui have many things in common"

K2

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

5. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I might skip the offshore in Maui, but maybe ferry or fly to where there is better fishing. Wonder if there is any good fishing from the rocks?

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I fished on a charter boat in Maui. There was a sign on the boat " No fish, No pay". I didn't catch single fish on the boat, but they didn't say anything about refunding money. :)

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Maui is not a good fishing destination, been on 2 trips and only few skipjack to show for.

Btw, we fish about 10-15 mile from the marina, it was more like sight seeing trip than a fishing trip.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Maui is not a good fishing destination, been on 2 trips and only few skipjack to show for.

Btw, we fish about 10-15 mile from the marina, it was more like sight seeing trip than a fishing trip.
    In Kauai, the first day we fished about 3 miles from the Marina at the FAD buoy. It was decent fishing for tuna. We didn't land any cows but had some decent tuna to 50#.
    The depth finder said 6k ft where we were. Pretty crazy that it gets deep that fast.

The guide I was with showed me a picture of a 100+ # tuna his son caught in the surf.

Maui is my least favortie of any hawaiin island...

9. papio

papio Senior Member

Maui has some good areas for local fishing, not so much offshore stuff, but islander style like throwing net and spear fishing for local reef fishes.

Got big tigahs too that has big taste for homo sapiens. Be careful.

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

So guys, I've got a wedding to attend in Maui on Nov 7th this year. What options do I have for fishing other than just off the rocks? Can I hop to another island and take a real sportfishing charter out to deep water for tuna? Speaking of hopping, would that be like a ferry or would plane flight be required? Thanks for any help fellas!

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

YOu could puddle jump to Kona and get a good boat or to Port allen on Kauai. They have some good tuna a wahoo fishing.

12. papio

papio Senior Member

Try da rocks at nite. u maybe able to catch bigeye snapper(aweoweo) and aholeole(silvery fish with large eyes). Use sabiki/flies type rigs. Hawaii has lots of mullet and goatfish that Ulua love to eat, find those fishes and u might
    get lucky. Better if u could snorkel and pick up a 5-10 lb octopus and dunk off da rocks as big ulua will find the octopi. Winter time is when copious big octopus come close to Hawaiian shores for mating season.

You can always go for tuna most everywhere offshore, but GTs only live in certain places. One should make da most of opportunity to hooked on to one. Ask da locals for shore fishing opportunites. Good luck and have a great time on da islands.

13. shorecaster96744

shorecaster96744 Member

If you're into nature then you're going to be in the beginning of the humpback whale season. Maui was a major whaling island back in the day. Back to the subject at hand, normally in hawaiian waters the traditional ahi or tuna and marlin runs are best during the summer months from may-around august, the winter months consist of mostly whaoo/ono and mahi mahi/dorado/dolphin. For whaoo look to troll the ledges between the shallow to deep water, for mahi you would look for any type of debris in the water, small balloons, water bottles, cargo nets, logs, anything that will hold baitfish, and also buoys a.k.a. fads. I'm guessing maui fishing isn't too good, not sure exactly as mos of my experience is on oahu and the big island. From shore you could toss topwater lures for GT's and their little cousins.

14. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

What time of the day would topwater action for GT be at it's best? I'm guessing I should be looking for rocks/structures protruding from the shallower water and waves crashing into it?

15. shorecaster96744

shorecaster96744 Member

All depends on the area you're fishing, generally though GT's are more active nearshore at dawn, dusk, and during the night. They are ambush predators so they rely on stealth and darkness, if you want to plug from shore then early morning hours say about an hour before sunrise until an hour after sunrise, and the same for sunset. If you have a lot of deep water then large surface poppers that create a lot of splash and action on the top of the water. Key in on places with deep water or transition spots like shelves that lead to deep drop offs or deep channels in between reefs, or cliff areas with deep water. The main fish you will run into during the day time is the blue fin trevally or omilu, they are primarily daytime feeders, same family as GT's but max out in weight at 26lbs. They are feisty fighters and good eating as well.

16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm gonna bring my casting gear and try top water fishing for these bad boys. :D

17. shrimp

shrimp Guest

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm gonna bring my casting gear and try top water fishing for these bad boys. :D

Good idea, go with the 4"-6" black popper w/red eyes. If they're around you've got a good chance at a strike especially on a rising tide in the a.m. or near dusk.

18. shorecaster96744

shorecaster96744 Member

Run your drags a bit on the tighter side, Both the GT's and omilus have a natural tendency to find the nearest coral head or ledge or whatever they can find to cut you off on. Make sure you have gear that can handle that type of pressure, for omilus looking at running leaders in the 15-30lb range depending on the size of the fish that are around, but to be on the safer side run your leaders in the 25-30lb range. For GT's leader size 60-100lb+ depending on what type of gear you're throwing, Japanese plugging rod and 10000 stella then bigger plug and line sizes, 8-9ft med-med/hvy rod paired with 5 or 6k shimano then 25-30lb leader. These fish like black with red eyed lures when the background matches, black cliffs rocky areas, if fishing from beaches or boats you will have to change your color scheme, check out the local goat and reef fishes and match your lure color schemes from there.

19. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks for the great advice guys, I've got some black poppers I'll be putting to good use!

20. Argo

Argo Senior Member

the winding road that bill talks about is the "road to hana" Hwy 31 I drove it and it was beautiful.... it is about 2-3 hours there and back, once you get to hanna you can just turn around because the road is closed about 45 minutes once yo pass up hana, there is a little park passed hana but that is it.... There are lots of places to stop and sight see waterfalls and beaches.... this drive is not for the person that gets car sick.... I loved it though, except for when you get behind someone that is scared and going 15mph..... There is A resteraunt in hana and they serve a great lunch, just get there early cause that is all there is.... The prettiest place to stay in maui is lahaina or kaanapali( just north of lahaina.) As for a ferry, we flew into Oahu and rented a car for the week.... we took the hawaii superferry across, for four people and the car with all our stuff in it the price was about $400 round trip..... its about a 2-3 hour ferry ride on a VERY comfortable 400' cat hull ferry..... Hawaii Superferry - Interisland Ferry Travel to Oahu & Maui I was shocked at how nice it was, they may have a few other destinations now that they were working on when we went last year in august. You will probably get a chance to see some whales on the ride too..... I also can agree that I didnt like maui as much as I like oahu.... I did not fish though.

21. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Unfortunately, when I am in Laihaina visiting family, I won't have many chances to visit other islands. Are the bottom fishing trips any better? Should I just scratch the idea of going offshore? Sounds like chasin the Trevally could be very exciting. Over the years I have had a blast at various locations in the BVI,chasin every thing from jacks to snapper to tarpon, right in front of the hotels and villas. But that is more of a calm water thing, find the rocks you can get out on that have some deeper water and I have always found fish. Hope the same method will pay off in Laihaina.