360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking good, hope you had a blast. Bought some blue crabs and made a crab boil for the wife and kids . Kids loved the corn and the spicy sausage !

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Sadly, I discovered age and salt finally got the best of my pit, the firebox floor is rotted out and there is no way to control the flow. The pork butt, babybacks, and meatloaf will have to wait until I get a new pit.
maybe next week.......

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,097 Posts
Sadly, I discovered age and salt finally got the best of my pit, the firebox floor is rotted out and there is no way to control the flow. The pork butt, babybacks, and meatloaf will have to wait until I get a new pit.
maybe next week.......
Brian, check out a ceramic kamado grill. Living right on the coast like I do anything in my yard that's not stainless or aluminum rusts away. Went with a kamado and going strong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ceramic grills are great. I love my XL BGE. The only downside to them is if you are big on smoking meats they tend to add more labor to the process. Their other drawback is room. The XL has plenty of room for the family and our usual compliment of guests on a given pool/football weekend, but if I had a larger gathering where I needed to cook multiple briskets things would get tight. I love using a traditional smoker with a firebox off to the side for bigger events but the wife says no more than one grill on the patio.

Tomorrow will be a long day full of college ball so its looking like St. Louis style ribs, smoked potato salad, and green veggies TBD. Also there may be some sort of shrimp dish for snack food depending on what I find at the store today.

Sunday looks like redfish on the half shell so I can eat well while I watch my NFL season crumble into disaster on the first game!

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
I would have already gone in that direction, but...
1.) they're WAAAAAAAAY overpriced.
2.) Hard to cook a whole pig on one of those things, which is my favorite.

Probably going with another Academy 30" traditional. The one I have now lasted 7 years.
I modified it quite a bit, with a reverse-flow plate and a 6" stack. Man, does she hold temp!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts