360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advise about La Pesca in Port Aransas and what to expect on the Oct 15th 2022 trip would be greatly appreciated. This will be our first Trip over 12 hours. I have a working knowledge of head boats, bottom fishing for snapper and how they operate on 8-12 hour trips. Other than the helpful information I have found so far, I still have a few questions... So I have read that this boat and trip doesn't typically stop for bottom fishing because it is slow. That would be a shame to skip over the big red snappers that are being caught right now, especially since they should still be in season... Nevertheless, if Blackfin Tuna and the occasional YF is the goal,
***1) What is the best seat?
I don't have any idea how trolling is going to work on a party boat but I would assume the stern would be desirable. Actually, I was the first to purchase 2 tickets and SHOULD be the first to pick a spot. I am planning on getting on first to get the stern corner for me and the wife while she gets the upper deck bunks for us. (since the lower deck bunks have bad reviews for fumes). But, am thinking also, the bow be better for casting and more room?
***2) How many Jigs/Cranks/Poppers should I bring?
At $15-20 each, I don't want to overspend for one trip..
***3) Should I use the braid with Floro top shot or just stick with mono?
I know how tangles with the guy fishing 10 inches away from you can be on the 12 hour trips... Also, if we're primarily fishing at night, does it matter what line type?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
The new guy ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been many years but I have done 5-6 trips on La Pesca.

On a 36 hour the LaPesca is too slow to reach the floaters. In October I would guess the only tuna fishing will be behind shrimp boats. This will be tako g the bh catch off the shrimper and then drifting baits in the chum line. One of the best tuna trips I have ever had was doing this on the La Pesca. Filled the fish boxes to brim with 20-25 pound Black fin.

Red snapper season will be closed. They should put you on the vermilion snapper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thanks. This will help me figure out what to bring. Do you drift with diamond jigs?Yes I guess I was hoping they would open the red snapper again. I think they did that last year because the quota wasn’t met..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Their website says no braid. I’ve seen that go back and forth on here but definitely verify with the boat so you don’t show up with the wrong gear for the trip. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
No drifting of diamomd jigs for.the tuna. Diamond jigs are good for black fin but they are not usuae fished behind shrimp boats.

For the shrimp boat fishing they will back up to the shrimp boat right at day light. They trade the shrimper sodas, beer etc for all the by catch.

Then they start chumming with the by catch as they drift away from the shrimper.

The idea is that tuna that were hanging around the shrimper eating the by catch as its thrown over will now follow the party boat as it drifts away.

You then bait up with the by catch and use it for to catch ths tuna.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their website says no braid. I’ve seen that go back and forth on here but definitely verify with the boat so you don’t show up with the wrong gear for the trip. Good luck and have fun!
Yeah it says braid must have 100ft top shot..but what’s the point.. thanks for the advice. I’ll be prepared.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No drifting of diamomd jigs for.the tuna. Diamond jigs are good for black fin but they are not usuae fished behind shrimp boats.

For the shrimp boat fishing they will back up to the shrimp boat right at day light. They trade the shrimper sodas, beer etc for all the by catch.

Then they start chumming with the by catch as they drift away from the shrimper.

The idea is that tuna that were hanging around the shrimper eating the by catch as its thrown over will now follow the party boat as it drifts away.

You then bait up with the by catch and use it for to catch ths tuna.
Thanks. That is good to know. What I don’t get is, if the boat is drifting and you have 25+ lines out with different weights, how is that not going to be a cluster f*^k???

·
Registered
14 Posts
When fishing for tuna like this no weight is used, just a hook with bait. The everyone fishes from the same side of the boat.

The shrimp boat by catch is used to chum the fish to the boat. You toss your baited hook in and let it drift with the chum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds lame, but I've never tried it. I'm trying to imagine pulling out 50lb test from a conventional without a weight with 25 people on the side of the boat... :cool: I have a BG5000 spinning too.. I'm guessing that would be a better choice?? Again, I'm pretty green beyond dropping for snapper. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks DaleR for your input. I'm kind of obsessing with my trip. I want it to be epic, so the wife wants to go again. At this point I have been researching the 80hr trips, but we gotta start somewhere... Of course, If I had the funds, I would buy an HCB Estrella with 6 - 450hp Mercs, but the wife has to approve...

·
654 Posts
Yeah it says braid must have 100ft top shot..but what’s the point.. thanks for the advice. I’ll be prepared.
There are some good points. 1) with a decent topshot the deckhands don't have to handle the braid which can get dicey 2) people without topshots on their braid won't cut off the mono lines of those that care enough to play by the rules.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ranman, one of the best tuna trips I ever had was on the LaPesca in October fishing behind shrimp boats.

We pulled up to one that had a swarm of Black fin tuna around it, all 20-25 lbs on average. After trading the shrimper for all of his by catch we started chumming and drifted away from the shrimp boat. The entire school followed us.

You could thow out a handful of chum and see hordes of tuna racing thru it eating everything in site. We filled the entire fish box to the rim, and 18 hours of the trip left to go......

An older fellow used a whole gulf trout and hooked a 140 lb yellow fin that he couldn't handle. He passed the rod to me and I got to fight it.

We also limited on vermilion snapper, king fish, and amberjack.

I ised my own gear, I used a conventional Penn 112h 3/0 Senator. The boat rods is what most folks used. We had no bid issues with tangles. Don't get me wrong there was some but not a big issue.

The boat is slow.............but in my past experience they catch fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, that sounds pretty cool. It’s sounding like you don’t have to go to the floaters to catch some sweet action!! Even if we only catch a few fish over 8lbs. I would call that epic.. We Bass and Crappie fish so this will be a treat. I’m just going crazy with what to bring. Unfortunately, I’m very OCD about my tackle but working on it..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't know the what you can and cannot do on that boat, but if yall pulling up to shrimp boats, I wouldn't hesitate to drop or throw a 100g or 120g Shimano Coltsniper jig up there close, these things catch everything. Even use the 21g and 28g ones to catch Hybrid Stripers on my local freshwater water lake. The west coast guys use them for bluefins, they are a versatile jig.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And if you get the chance to put a few B-liners on your stringer, do it. And take them to a local restaurant for dinner. They rate with crappie for table fare! That will seal the deal (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was on La Pesca last year, it's a rocky boat and it's dirtier than the New bucc but we slayed tuna at the floaters on a 60 hour. Braid is allowed, if your trip has included meals expect the portions to be very meager. The boat is faster than it used to be, I didn't measure it but it could definitely reach some floaters on a 36 hour, but it would be a 11ish hour steam to get there. The captains name is Michael Matthew, you could probably send him a message on fb asking for gear recommendations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts