360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here. Not a total greenhorn to tuna and offshore fishing but definitely not as much experience as some. Been on a handful of 36 hour trips out of galveston and san diego. Is anyone here going on the DD La Pesca 60 hour december 5th? Would love to meet some fellow members, and pick up any advice if possible. It'll be my first trip of that length and i'm very excited. Got a few poppers, frenzy flyers, plenty of jigs, flouro, spare hooks and assorted terminal tackle. Planning on catching some pinfish the night before for live bait. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've done a number of the 60's on the LA Pesca. I wish I could say I was going to be on that one but my vacation time is just too short.

The upside to the LA Pesca is that they have really nice bunks to rest up in during the day. The boat is definitely slow, but the upshot to that is they troll when running to a spot. I've seen several blue marlin hooked and even got a couple of wahoo on the troll on that boat.

My experience with them is all 10 years ago or more but I believe not much has changed.

You may want to add halco 130's to your tackle arsenal. They are extremely effective on the tuna. It stings when you lose one to a cuda, but that's part of the game.

I don't know if they still take their no braid rule seriously but back in the day we had to use mono/flouro.

Good luck on your trip! I hope you slayem!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tom:

Do what ? The Dolphin Docks folks told me when I signed up that La Pesca was their fastest boat (newer engines ?) - - until they just purchased the Dolphin Express, now their claimed fastest . . . did I take that advice "hook, line and sinker" ?

Along with that, I recently confirmed and then re-confirmed verbally with them they will allow braid if you use a floro or mono leader so deckhands have the leader to grab onto. Better hope that is true.

Have you ever been in a situation where the 'cuda's get so thick you loose more than 2 Halco's to bite offs in say a 30 minute period, and you decide to move to a wire leader ? Or, are tuna being so shy they would never hit a lure on a wire leader ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Like I said, it's been over 10 years, she may be fast now.

That's good about the braid. I much prefer braid over mono, especially for jigging.

I personally have never lost two or more back to back but others have been there for sure. I have never tried wire to prevent cudas from cutting me off. I would assume the wire could interfere with the lure action and with tuna having great vision and a healthy fear of lines I stick with flouro leaders and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done a number of the 60's on the LA Pesca. I wish I could say I was going to be on that one but my vacation time is just too short.

The upside to the LA Pesca is that they have really nice bunks to rest up in during the day. The boat is definitely slow, but the upshot to that is they troll when running to a spot. I've seen several blue marlin hooked and even got a couple of wahoo on the troll on that boat.

My experience with them is all 10 years ago or more but I believe not much has changed.

You may want to add halco 130's to your tackle arsenal. They are extremely effective on the tuna. It stings when you lose one to a cuda, but that's part of the game.

I don't know if they still take their no braid rule seriously but back in the day we had to use mono/flouro.

Good luck on your trip! I hope you slayem!
I have a half dozen of them! Various colors plus heavy split rings and owner st66 trebles to switch out too. Some big 1.5 oz ratlletraps too The captain spoke to me over facebook, and braid is cool nowadays apparently which I'm glad for, I didn't want to buy new line. Ive got a much longer gear list than that but it's the basics. I've got a couple dtx minnows and bonita to troll with too in case the wahoo are around and some 14# gauge wire. Few different setups too, a spinfisher 8500, a penn squall 50LD, and two penn fathoms, a 40nld2 and a 25nld2. Probably overkill and i may leave one of the fathoms but not sure which one yet. Blackfin on the 25 would be pretty fun but 40 lb test makes me nervous if a yellowfin hit it. Ive heard it's slow from others as well, but like you said, we get to troll.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Be careful, half a dozen turns into 2 dozen real fast! Changing those hooks out is definitely a life saver. After what I saw a blackfin do to stock hooks I'm glad I changed everything.

The fathoms are great reels. I split the difference between yours, I run a pair of 30LD2's with 65lb braid on them.

Not that I would recommend targeting YFT with 40 lb. line, but to tell you the truth in the early days of my tuna adventures I took my fair share of YFT up to 60 - 70 lbs using a Penn 6500ss and 20 lb. mono. The only ones I lost took me under the boat and cut the line that way. Braid may have helped some, but it doesn't last long when dragged along the bottom of the boat either. I don't use mono or anything under 50 lb test anymore, but I still take that Penn 6500ss out.

I also still have a bunch of those giant rattle traps that I bought from the boat back in the day. Somehow I've never lost one, but half of them are beat to death. The blackfin love them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts