KSONG!

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by mozambik, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mozambik

mozambik Junior member

just saw the pix of the fish on other websyte, congrats on the tuna man :)

keep us updated on the world record details!

gj its a good looking fish

;)

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Lets hear some particulars....

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Yeah. What, where, when and to what extent...

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

cmon the suspense is killing me!
    -B

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

cmon the suspense is killing me!
    -B
    mozambik, Where did you get the report ?
    I just came back from an overnight fishing and I just saw this.
    Are you talking about false albacore we caught today ?
    It could be new IGFA world record if approved. I believe the current false albacore record is 35 lbs 2 oz. Our fish weighs 35 lbs 4 oz and 36 lbs on two separate certified scales. When I go to the office tomorrow, I'll post the picture of the monster false albacore. I was not the angler who fought the fish.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

For all those Gulf of Mexico people, a false-albacore is what we call a bonito or little tunny. That is one big bonito. I think the average one I catch is about 7 pounds. a 12 to 15 pound one is huge. A 35 pounder is incredible.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

MrBill,
    My mind is more occupied now with the thought of the missed opportunity to catch a bigeye on a jig than the potential world record. :)
    I caught a few bigeye in 200-230 lbs range on bait, but I've yet to catch one on a jig. On this trip, I decided to test Japanese 5' Smith WRC-50 ATLANTIS
    rod. The rod is so light I could use only one hand to jig. :) As there was no bites for a while, I took a rest in the cabin. While I was in the cabin, Eric, mate, used the Smith jigging rod. On his first cast, tuna swallowed the jig and it turned out to be a 80 lbs bigeye !!!

It was a pretty good trip by catching 18 - 19 yellowfin in 40 - 60 lbs range, one huge false albacore (little tunny) and one bigeye for six guys on the 55' private charter boat. This trip was only possible thanks to the cancellation of the Big E. :)

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here are some pictures.

the potential record false albacore
    [​IMG]

80 lbs bigeye and jigging setup
    [​IMG]

not a bad catch.
    [​IMG]

fancy features on the boat. It shows satillete water temperature and a move together.
    [​IMG]

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Yummy

Fresh Toro

Nice catch there Kil. That looks like a great way to get over being depressed about the Big E trip.