Ksong Using The Rail Video-Q for Kil

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Uncle Russ, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Reference: Using the rail - kil_yft.wmv @ ZippyVideos.com - Free Video Webhosting

Kil:I considered asking this in a PM or attaching it to the now-deceased thread on the rail, but I thought there might be enough enthusiasm on the part of others to post it here. I consider this to be the best single instance I have seen of an efficient, effective use of the rail. If you can remember (because I know you fish every other year or so :) ), a few questions:

1. What rod/reel/line/drag combo were you using and against what size fish?

2. Is this your normal amount of bending at the knees or do you usually use less or more movement?

3. You seem to be holding your left hand on the foregrip of the rod, above the fulcrum point and lifting occasionally with that hand as your knees are bending on the downstroke. Do I have that right?

4. When you finally get off the rail, with the fish on the surface, you seem to point the rod down straight at the water. I have also seen this on west coast long range videos. What is going on here? Is the reel in freespool? And finally, what are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks, once again, for the lesson. :D

Russ

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Reference: Using the rail - kil_yft.wmv @ ZippyVideos.com - Free Video Webhosting

Kil:I considered asking this in a PM or attaching it to the now-deceased thread on the rail, but I thought there might be enough enthusiasm on the part of others to post it here. I consider this to be the best single instance I have seen of an efficient, effective use of the rail. If you can remember (because I know you fish every other year or so :) ), a few questions:

1. What rod/reel/line/drag combo were you using and against what size fish?

2. Is this your normal amount of bending at the knees or do you usually use less or more movement?

3. You seem to be holding your left hand on the foregrip of the rod, above the fulcrum point and lifting occasionally with that hand as your knees are bending on the downstroke. Do I have that right?

4. When you finally get off the rail, with the fish on the surface, you seem to point the rod down straight at the water. I have also seen this on west coast long range videos. What is going on here? Is the reel in freespool? And finally, what are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks, once again, for the lesson. :D

Russ
    I didn't know this video exists. :)

1. I am not sure the rod was 8' GUSA Wahoo or 8' Japanese Cosmotech rod.
    The reel should be Saltiga 50 filled with Sunline or Ultra Jigman PE8/ 80 lbs Tuf line.
    2.When using the rail, I like to utilize my body weight as much as possible.
    3. I don't use left hand much. I think I was just holding the foregrip with my left hand to get balance.
    4.Even when tuna are on the surface, they usually charge back deep, especially you miss gaff. I think I was trying to get lines back by bending forward and backward while pointing rod tip toward tuna.
    This technique is very effective to fight a nice fish without harness or the rail.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks Kil. It's a very helpful video as is your advice.

Russ