Kona Marlin Grander

Discussion in 'Billfish' started by MrBill, Apr 6, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Capt. Jeff Rogers finally caught his grander last week. I've fished with him a couple of times. He was the first guy I ever went fishing with that begged me to stop trolling and start jigging. He has a lot of Japanese clients that brought their jigs, rods and reels specifically for jigging. That was about eight years ago, and it was the first time I ever saw a jig with a assist hook.

Anyway, he hooked up with a huge marlin only about two miles from the harbor. He was in 500 fathoms and could still the Costco from his boat.
    After three hours, the fish made it to the boat but the rope from the flying gaff was to short and the fish went under the boat. He gunned forward and the props cut the marlin a little and gave him new life.

When they finally got him back to the boat, and flying gaff with a longer rope was planted in the shoulder. They opened up the transom door and got his head in the boat when three oceanic whitetip sharks appeared and started feasting on the marling. Jeff and the angler held onto the marlin's head as the deckhand opened up the throttle. They could barely hang on. The sharks followed the boat to the mouth of the harbor.

After loosing about 150 pounds of meat from the sharks, the marlin still tipped the scales at 1056 pounds. Probably a 1200 pounder before the shark attack. This was his first grander as a Capt. I hooked on a grander once in Kona, but was spooled. I will probably never have that happen to me again.
    Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

2. gman

gman Senior Member

That is amazing to me that after the sharks got all that meat it still went 1056, I would bet my ass there was atleast 200 pounds of flesh missing

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah that shark took a ton of meat. wow! that's awesome. mrbill - was your grander the one that spooled the 130?

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

yeah that shark took a ton of meat. wow! that's awesome. mrbill - was your grander the one that spooled the 130?

Yes. I was on the "Marlin Magic" with Marlin Parker. We we only about 30 minutes into trolling when it happened. That marlin was way to big for a International 130. I was spooled with the drag set at 45 pounds in less than one minute. The marlin never slowed down. I might as well have been hooked up to a freight train. Backing down with the water flowing over the transom while trying to get into the harness was exciting for that brief period. My biggest marlin in Kona was in the 600lb bracket. They also catch small ones and the practice of catch and release is still not great in Hawaii. Those Capt's sell them at the dock for $$$$$.:mad: It's a good idea to find out the boat's policy before booking. Jeff Roger's normally doesn't kill a marlin. I don't blame him for killing his first grander. He smoked the meat and feed many friends.

I've also been spooled in the gulf on a 80W twice. A cow tuna might pull off 250 yards at 40-45#s of drag. A big marlin will take off 1000 yards at the same drag setting. The charter Capt's in Kona and Australia have always wanted a bigger reel just for the few fish that spool them every year.

I haven't been to Kona for two years, so maybe they are using 200lb JB with ATD 130's set at 60#s of drag. That's what I would troll if I fished every day. The big problem they face is their customers. Some have never fished before and just book a boat at the hotel for an outdoor experience.
    It's a tourist destination and I would guess that 75% of their clients have little or no experience with tackle.:eek:

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That is amazing to me that after the sharks got all that meat it still went 1056, I would bet my ass there was at least 200 pounds of flesh missing

You might be right. After the picture was taken, the tail section without all the skin holding it together gave way. The weight of the marlin broke at the tail and it went straight down into the water breaking the bill into pieces. The fish is being mounted. I feel sorry for the taxidermist as the bill is one of the few real parts that goes into the mount.

If you've never been to the dock in Kona, they have a super heavy duty hoist and rail system the length of the dock. They use an electric hoist to pull the big fish out of the boats. I've never seen another port that has that type of system.
    After a marlin or big tuna is hoisted up, it rolls left or right on steel wheels. If the fish is sold, the wholesale fish buyer has a big flatbed truck with side gates at ground level (about twelve feet above the dock height). It is lowered into his truck and ice is shoveled onto the fish. That dock supplies a lot fish for local restaurants.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah a charter capt cant set drags to 60 lbs. hell, he cant set them to 20lbs for 95% of the people who charter those boats. most people have never fought large fish so they don't know what they are doing. 60lbs of drag would equal lots of lost gear!!!!

Now, if you called ahead or knew the guy and told him what you wanted thats a different story.

Nice new avatar, mrbill.....if you ever decide to become a minimalist and just get rid of stuff, please let me know first so i can raid your tackle stash!!!! ;)

7. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Bret, we think alike, thats quite the stash Mr. bill i see quite a few that id like, but the better pic was the one with the baby runbohs, shibuki minnows,tuna sticks and i think a few other things im missing

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice new avatar, mrbill.....if you ever decide to become a minimalist and just get rid of stuff, please let me know first so i can raid your tackle stash!!!! ;)

If anything, I'm a Maximalist.:D Fishing is just one of my hobbies.:eek:

If you want to know what it is like having saltwater busting over the transom while fighting a fish check out the below video. I've been knocked back wards on the deck from a wave over the transom while using stand up gear.
    Water is powerful.:eek: You shark guys might like the ending of this video. Just shows you what can happen in seconds. That's why I don't jump overboard in the deep blue.

YouTube - 450 pound Black Marlin eaten by shark

Here's some more poppers for you. I've been taking inventory here at home in my spare time. I'm dreading another location as it isn't as organized.:mad:

Attached Files:

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Nemo's got Crocks?

130's have kicked my butt in Hi. a few times. 25lbs drags keeps the hook set.
    But the weight of the rod \reel combo, give and take of line ect will kick
    a 1'st timers butt. I don't prefer the chair.
    I've have had more comfortable experinces on 20 and 50lb equip for Pacific
    sails 50+, Bules 5 and Blacks 2ea out of Guatamala.
    But the whole heavy tackle concept has been changeing, thus my intrest in the info from these boards,

Plus I like the jokes.............

K2

10. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

If anything, I'm a Maximalist.:D Fishing is just one of my hobbies.:eek: :

That's an understatement. Hey, Rick called me from the big island and told me that Marlin's dad past away. What a great story teller. I'm sure he will be missed. A true pioneer of marlin fishing. He lived a full life. May he rest in peace.

Final Four tomorrow night? I have an extra ticket. If you see this post, call me. Otherwise I'll call you before noon.

11. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

The charter Capt's in Kona and Australia have always wanted a bigger reel just for the few fish that spool them every year.

I haven't been to Kona for two years, so maybe they are using 200lb JB with ATD 130's set at 60#s of drag. That's what I would troll if I fished every day.

i wonder if any of'em have been eye-balling the penn 130VSX

80# of drag @ strike!.......... 1900/yds o'200# spectre!...... and still room for a top shot?

Penn The Biggest Name in Fishing!

i figgered bluefin tuna, but with those last coupla big marlin coming in......???